What CPU? [URGENT]

nvv

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Well I put toghter a new PC with high hopes for Bulldozer. And I bought a 8150 When they came out, Problem is I had to RMA it and they had to refund me because they did not have anymore in stock. I want to order this tonight tomorrow morning to get it shipped out by Friday.

All these Shiny new parts are taunting me.What would you guys suggest? Should I go with a 8120? or a 1100T?

The Pc is for mostly Gaming and some video editing.

ASUS Crosshair V Formula/Thunderbolt Mobo
2x WD VelociRaptor 450GB 10000 RPM HDD
2x HIS Radeon HD 6970 2GB GPU
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB DDR3 1866 Memory
ZALMAN CNPS11X Extreme Heatsink
Rosewill 1000w Lightning PSU

Any AMD Processor no budget.

redsunrises

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Go with the 960T for $125. Its the thuban architecture, with 2 cores disabled. So you get a quad-core, with a lower TDP than the Deneb counter parts, and it has a chance at being unlocked to a 6 core. Its also a BE so it will be able to OC to 4ghz pretty easily, at least I was able to with mine! This way you dont spend too much, and it will be great for gaming until Piledriver comes out, which will hopefully be better than Bulldozer :) and actually right now on newegg its 15 dollars off... so it will be 110! Even better!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103995

Well, I think the velociraptors are a terrible idea. Hard drives in general are a terrible buy right now. If you have a drive currently to serve as a data drive, then I'd invest in a VertexIII SSD, 120Gb is a good size.

The 1866 memory will run natively at that speed with a Bulldozer, the 6 core is limited to DDR3 1333 speeds so it would have to be overclocked to reach that speed with the Thuban. Not really a problem but just note it won't run at that speed outta the box.

This is a very robust PC, so this is a tough decision. You'd probably get more mileage out of a core i5 build. But thats not what you asked for.

In your shoes I would do this; Buy a X4 955 for now. It will game just as fast as the Thuban and maybe even slightly better than the 8120. When the next BD refresh comes out, possibly Jan, then you can revisit and see if it makes sense to upgrade at that time. This way you're only out $120 for a temporary CPU.

Skip the raptors and get an SSD instead. It will be faster anyway. :)

And get rid of the Rosewill PSU. Find a better brand and you won't need anywhere near 1000W. Look for a nice 850.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/

redsunrises

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

IMO I would say 960T over 955, since he would have a chance at unlocking to a 6 core, its cheaper than the 955, and it has lower power consumption (i think) and both will overclock the same.

redsunrises

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

I think at first AMD was saying the 960T wouldnt go retail, but now they probably just want to get rid of them lol and I think AMD needs all the money they can get! haha

That CPU is a nice find, I stuck it in my wish list.

redsunrises

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

Yeah, I have been recommending it a lot lately because its such a good deal at $125... Well its $110 today only, which imo is the best deal today...

nvv

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Thanks I ordered that 960T. I only bought those HDD because i got them for like $100 on sale. I will be getting a SSD but i've been having trouble deciding what would be my best option.

I would also agree with everyone else.Just get a 960T for now and wait until Piledriver is released.Since the 960T is basicly a Deneb with a lower TDP chances are you can reach a much higher O.C. than the Deneb's.Also it seems that the ASUS Crosshair V Formula has the very best componets out of all of the higher end mobo's and in every highest achieved O.C. it was with that board.Your chances are very good to get a nice O.C.