Motherboard DOA failure question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauri999

Honorable
May 23, 2012
I have been doing alot of reading in different forums, researching reviews on different sites, and looking at customer reviews of computer parts they have bought at newegg, amazon and tigerdirect.

I have seen alot of people posting their Mobo is DOA. Even some saying after sending back to Newegg, that it was returned back to them with damaged pins.

I am wondering what the real rate of MOBO failures is if anyone can tell me. I ask because I wonder if I should try to buy locally.
Or if I should just give up and buy a computer from Dell or HP etc.

I was really excited to build my first computer but after doing alot of research on the internet, I am a bit discouraged now.

Any help, suggestions, advice appreciated.

I have built computer for many years and never ever got a bad motherboard! The failure rate is really low and talking about bent pins then usually it is because of mishandling like turning a CPU the wrong way in the socket.
People are just more likely to post reviews about faulty items than fully working ones.

dingo07

Distinguished
I would bet that 9.5 out of 10 motherboards that are shipped to the end user are good. I would also bet that 9.5 out of 10 motherboards that end users return because of "issues" are their own fault. I wouldn't be discourage about what you read on the internet, you're only looking at it under a 200x microscope, and not the whole big picture.

Now, building one from scratch compared to buying a name brand pre-built depends on how much money you want to spend basically (well, also convenience is part of it as well). You're always going to pay a premium to buy it pre-built.

dingo07

Distinguished
Here's my $0.02

If you need the part immediately, then the local CompUSA or computer store is the best, if they have it on the shelf. Yeah you'll pay anywhere from $5-45 more for it, but if you NEED it Now, then there's no other option, is there ;)

Outside of that scenario, I would find the cheapest price that includes shipping. I personally only and always use NewEgg. The reason I don't use Amazon is because you have to be a detective to figure out Who is shipping the product and where to find the information IF something goes wrong with the shipment. BestBuy just isn't a computer parts seller, so I only go there for PC games or a TV

Status
Not open for further replies.