Asus P8H61-I refusing to start?

Eloquent

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
I'm building a semi-embedded system with a Asus P8H61-I mini-ITX motherboard, a Core i5-2500 CPU and "GPU," 2x4GB Kingston RAM, and a 30 GB Corsair NOVA SSD. It's powered by a picoPSU M3-ATX 125W power supply, which in turn is powered by a LeFePO4 battery stack, or from a 15V DC power supply (that normally charges the batteries.)

The computer has been running fine for a few months, since I put it together (apart from an Arch linux upgrade SNAFU a while back.) However, today, The computer started randomly shutting off while being used. The shut-off was direct; just "click" and the CPU fan stops spinning. Turning on right away would make the fan spin and then stop spinning a few seconds later. Waiting half a minute would allow me to turn on the computer again.

First, I suspected the battery pack and/or BMS, so I unhooked that and ran directly on DC power. Still happens.

Then I suspected the picoPSU ATX power supply. I replaced it with a slightly different, 120 W picoPSU power supply I have, but the same thing still happened.

And now, the computer won't even turn on with the power switch. Press the switch, nothing happens -- no CPU fan, no boot.

I've made sure all connections are good; I've tried clearing the CMOS and then returning the jumper to normal; I've tried removing power for a while and re-applying it; nothing happens.

The green LED next to the front panel connector and DIMM slots is lit steadily, showing power gets in. The green LED on the power supply is blinking slowly, which means it's getting power. These are the same behaviors I've seen before.

I don't have a replacement LGA motherboard to try with, nor a replacement CPU to try with. How can I troubleshoot this problem further? Or should I just return the motherboard for warranty replacement?

Eloquent

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Bah! After swapping parts back and forth, and even buying a new motherboard to test with, I traced the problem to the $5 ATX-20 to ATX-24 adapter cable I have to use to go from the picoPSU to the ITX boards. Some of the connectors had been pushed back out of the housing. Pushing them in with a solid click made the thing work again.

This was a victory of the process of elimination, though. The only two parts I hadn't swapped when I found this was the CPU and the adapter cable (I had used the same adapter cable with two different picoPSUs, even)

Sometimes, it's the simplest things...