Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help!

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 18, 2011 9:18:40 PM

Intel i5 2400 vs. AMD phenom ii 955 black edition? Which is better and will last me longer?
Oh and whats the Nvidia equivalent to the amd radeon hd 6870?

More about : question

August 18, 2011 9:33:40 PM

really???...

I nice quick look at tom's hardware CPU charts, (that tom is most famous for) i see that the AMD score on the 3DMark Vantage Overall Performance 13333, while the Intel comes in at 14501... its up to you on how much you wanna spend squirt :) 
m
0
l
August 18, 2011 9:58:42 PM

AMD Black edition will be able to get to to a higher clock speed when compared to the limited 2400 but it doesn't mean it will out perform the 2400. Take a look at some bench charts comparing BE stock clock speeds and OC speeds against the 2400
m
0
l
Related resources
August 18, 2011 11:10:30 PM

rozz said:
really???...

I nice quick look at tom's hardware CPU charts, (that tom is most famous for) i see that the AMD score on the 3DMark Vantage Overall Performance 13333, while the Intel comes in at 14501... its up to you on how much you wanna spend squirt :) 

Yes really! lol I know much about the 955 cause i plan to overclock it to 3.8Ghz with 1600Mhz ram (stock) but i know nothing about any of the intels and dont really plan to haha i think $119 vs $184 bucks on newegg is better.
1. lower price
2. unlocked multiplier!
m
0
l
August 18, 2011 11:14:07 PM

jeremy1183 said:
AMD Black edition will be able to get to to a higher clock speed when compared to the limited 2400 but it doesn't mean it will out perform the 2400. Take a look at some bench charts comparing BE stock clock speeds and OC speeds against the 2400

Have any links to support your thoughts?
m
0
l
August 18, 2011 11:19:15 PM

No...I was saying to take a look at some charts and see if the 2400 would out perform the AMD cpu. Did not make the assumption that it would. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

My opinion I would go for the unlocked multiplier in most cases unless the limited multiplier would still out perform for what I was using the system for.
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 1:12:30 PM

Yeah by all means, if you're going to overclock the sucker - go with AMD. Now you're only limited to how much heat you can get rid of :) 
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 2:53:47 PM

jeremy1183 said:
No...I was saying to take a look at some charts and see if the 2400 would out perform the AMD cpu. Did not make the assumption that it would. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

My opinion I would go for the unlocked multiplier in most cases unless the limited multiplier would still out perform for what I was using the system for.

No....I was saying if your gonna answer then you should also provide charts and links to prove what your saying hell I can look at some charts myself. The reason I ask is cause I want someone to EXPLAIN why this is better than that not just say it and expect me to believe it. But anyways, thanks for your help
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 2:57:00 PM

rozz said:
Yeah by all means, if you're going to overclock the sucker - go with AMD. Now you're only limited to how much heat you can get rid of :) 

gonna oc to 3.8 and make sure it reads my ram as 1600 thats about it
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 8:06:20 PM

Want me to build it for you to..lol...i gotchya though

Here is your chart (note; this is not the BE of the 955 but still has the same stock clock speeds against the i5-2400. Gaming at the bottom of the chart puts the 2400 ahead....by a good margin. I don't see the 955 OCing enough to make up for that gap.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=363

here is 2400 vs 965BE...which again the 2400 is still ahead of at stock speeds
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=363
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 8:30:01 PM

When you turn filters on, all the hard work goes to gpu and differences between 955 and 2400 are very small...so you get the cheaper 955 and the rest money buy a better gpu!
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 8:56:48 PM

ik haha 955-6870 (AMD) vs. i5-560 (intel)
with the amd vs intel the processor is a little bit better (not much looking at price vs performance wise) but the gtx 560 sales for $10 more than the 6870 when its like 7% worse lol so i can just buy my amd build for around $611 instead of the intel for $665 and then oc my 955 to 3.8 which i think is better than having a limited i5 when i can oc the 955 better and have a better gpu for less money. Now I see why people say intel is just for game devolopers its kinda pricey vs amd when you can do pretty much the same things just for less money plus you can cf the 6870 for less and ofc more performance! :D 
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 8:58:22 PM

But hey when AMD's Bulldozer cpu's come out if the x6 lower in price why not get one!
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 9:03:29 PM

jeremy1183 said:
Want me to build it for you to..lol...i gotchya though

Here is your chart (note; this is not the BE of the 955 but still has the same stock clock speeds against the i5-2400. Gaming at the bottom of the chart puts the 2400 ahead....by a good margin. I don't see the 955 OCing enough to make up for that gap.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=363

here is 2400 vs 965BE...which again the 2400 is still ahead of at stock speeds
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=363

But I can come really close for 70 bucks less so im sold :)  better gpu to for price 560 (184) < 6870 (174)
6870 wins in price and performance :) 
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 9:17:10 PM

I really wanted to go for some AMD gpu's myself but can't seem to jump off the nvidia wagon. Good choice with the AMD 955....OCing makes everything so much better/fun. What fun could you have with a limited muliplier? None!
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 10:12:30 PM

Yeah you know if i could go with nvidia sometimes i would! But you need an amd motherboard to work with an amd cpu and you cant sli with an amd cpu vice-versa for crossfire :/ 
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 10:14:45 PM

michxymi said:
Plus with the saved money you can get a 6950 1gb

XFX HD-695X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/message.php?ref=0&n...

Hmm iI'm ok with the 6870 for now haha after i build this im gonna crossfire a year later :) 
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 10:15:50 PM

jeremy1183 said:
I really wanted to go for some AMD gpu's myself but can't seem to jump off the nvidia wagon. Good choice with the AMD 955....OCing makes everything so much better/fun. What fun could you have with a limited muliplier? None!

You have a great system btw ;)  560 sli and i5 @ 4.5ghz
m
0
l
August 19, 2011 10:22:20 PM

I have 580's for SLI I'm about to install if I can figure out what size UPS I need. Didn't use one for the 560's.
m
0
l
August 20, 2011 3:54:38 AM

900 bucks on 2 cards lol. I have a question for you any reason you choose the i5 instead of the i7?
m
0
l
August 20, 2011 4:05:17 AM

because the i5-2500k performs the same in gaming as the 2600k
m
0
l
August 20, 2011 5:49:49 AM

oh ok
m
0
l
!