Wireless Repeater Range

architectural

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
So im trying to set up a wireless repeater inside my house, ill be using my dads connection, his house is about 150-170ft away, between routers there is one trailor in the way ( nearly a clear line of sight from router to repeater)

Both router and repeater will be in windows pointing at eachother (i use a bowl-antenna to boost my strength right now)

The router im useing is a NETGEAR WGR614 (wireless G) , the repeater im looking at is an ENCORE ENHWI-N3 (G and N)

im just wondering if this set up will work? will the repeater be able to find signal strength?
the Encore repeater/router has detachable antenna, should i go with a omni-directional? Will that effect Strength in my house?

just looking to see what people think, if this set up will actualy work.
or maybe suggestions for a good repeater (i know about dd-wrt)
im not looking to spend too much on a repeater ( around the 35$ mark, cheaper the better, Lan is not all that important)

:hello:

pooflinger1

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
If you have a choice of antenna, directional work much better than omni directional because they can focus all of their power in one direction. However, if you are trying to use the same antenna to "repeat" the signal to your computers, they will have a degraded signal because they are not going to be directly in front of the antenna.

In theory, your setup *should* work. However, there are alot of other variables that you can't see like the trailer between you. First is other wireless networks. There are only 3 usable channels (1, 6, and 11) that can be used simultaneously without any interference. The channels in between will cause interferrence. Your best bet is to download a wifi analyzer to see what channel has the least ammount of clutter. You should also be able to see where the best location for your repeater would be. It may be in the window, but it could be at the other end.

architectural

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
I actualy have had it set up about a week know, and its wonderful!
the Encore router exceeded my expectation, it gets wonderful signal stregnth and speed.

one thing that was terrible, was the lack of documentation to set it up, and the costumer service rep, they asked for all my information ( something i dont like) and was incredibly hard to understand.

^ i figured it leave that little bit incase anyone in the future finds this in a search lol
^_^

thanks for the input!

michaelf3

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011

I'm trying to use the Encoure as a repeater. How did you get it to work? In the LAN setting, did you have to change the default IP, subnet mass and gateway?