How do I Make a Shortcut That Leads to 2 Items

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a massive music collection and wish to have a warning for my family
(so they don't rename any songs) appear everytime someone clicks on
"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\iTunes.ink"

I want the shortcut that opens 2 items:
first "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" for iTunes
second "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\iTunes rules.txt" for
the guidelines to not mess up my music library

I've tried but don't have skills sufficient to do it on my own.
Please help if you can or send me links to sites with info on how to do
this.
p.s. I don't mind having to code in order to get this done.

Thanks in advance
Doopah

Put an ampersand between the two.

cmd /c "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe"&Start "" "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\iTunes rules.txt"

You need Start as you are using file associations for the second item.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

David Candy wrote:
> Put an ampersand between the two.
>
> cmd /c "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe"&Start "" "C:\Documents
> and Settings\All Users\Documents\iTunes rules.txt"
>
> You need Start as you are using file associations for the second item.
>
> "Doopah" <joelcadieux@@@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> I have a massive music collection and wish to have a warning for my
>> family (so they don't rename any songs) appear everytime someone
>> clicks on "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\iTunes.ink"
>>
>> I want the shortcut that opens 2 items:
>> first "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" for iTunes
>> second "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\iTunes
>> rules.txt" for the guidelines to not mess up my music library
>>
>> I've tried but don't have skills sufficient to do it on my own.
>> Please help if you can or send me links to sites with info on how to
>> do this.
>> p.s. I don't mind having to code in order to get this done.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Doopah

An ampersand (&) is the keyboard character that represents the word "and".
Excuse me ,David, I felt this entry was necessary for those of us long past
school days.
--
Gene K

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

I think, a user account is in order. Set permissions to restrict writing to
the files.

JAX

"Gene K" <genekRE@MOVEolivianc.net> wrote in message
> David Candy wrote:
> > Put an ampersand between the two.
> >
> > cmd /c "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe"&Start "" "C:\Documents
> > and Settings\All Users\Documents\iTunes rules.txt"
> >
> > You need Start as you are using file associations for the second item.
> >
> > "Doopah" <joelcadieux@@@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> >> I have a massive music collection and wish to have a warning for my
> >> family (so they don't rename any songs) appear everytime someone
> >> clicks on "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\iTunes.ink"
> >>
> >> I want the shortcut that opens 2 items:
> >> first "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" for iTunes
> >> second "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\iTunes
> >> rules.txt" for the guidelines to not mess up my music library
> >>
> >> I've tried but don't have skills sufficient to do it on my own.
> >> Please help if you can or send me links to sites with info on how to
> >> do this.
> >> p.s. I don't mind having to code in order to get this done.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance
> >> Doopah
>
> An ampersand (&) is the keyboard character that represents the word "and".
> Excuse me ,David, I felt this entry was necessary for those of us long
past
> school days.
> --
> Gene K

I wish to thank you for the quick response and the helpful solution.

This newsgroup and you guys in particular are awesome. Thanks

"JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
> I think, a user account is in order. Set permissions to restrict writing
> the files.
>
> JAX
>
> "Gene K" <genekRE@MOVEolivianc.net> wrote in message
> > David Candy wrote:
> > > Put an ampersand between the two.
> > >
> > > cmd /c "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe"&Start "" "C:\Documents
> > > and Settings\All Users\Documents\iTunes rules.txt"
> > >
> > > You need Start as you are using file associations for the second item.
> > >
> > > "Doopah" <joelcadieux@@@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> > An ampersand (&) is the keyboard character that represents the word
"and".
> > Excuse me ,David, I felt this entry was necessary for those of us long
> past
> > school days.
> > --
> > Gene K

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

Best of luck, JAX

> I wish to thank you for the quick response and the helpful solution.
>

> This newsgroup and you guys in particular are awesome. Thanks
>

> "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
> > I think, a user account is in order. Set permissions to restrict writing
> > the files.
> >
> > JAX
> >
> > "Gene K" <genekRE@MOVEolivianc.net> wrote in message

> > > An ampersand (&) is the keyboard character that represents the word
> "and".
> > > Excuse me ,David, I felt this entry was necessary for those of us long
> > past
> > > school days.
> > > --
> > > Gene K

Doopah,

I don't mean to be dense, but I don't get the idea behind your question. If
family members renaming files is a problem, how would displaying a message
pleading for them to stop be any more effective than you directly telling
them? If you've already has a discussion with the guilty party, then a
message shown on the screen isn't gonna change a thing. It sounds like you
need to do something about user permissions to prevent the problem from
occuring in the first place.

"Doopah" <joelcadieux@@@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> I have a massive music collection and wish to have a warning for my family
> (so they don't rename any songs) appear everytime someone clicks on
> "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\iTunes.ink"
>
> I want the shortcut that opens 2 items:
> first "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" for iTunes
> second "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\iTunes rules.txt"
for
> the guidelines to not mess up my music library
>
> I've tried but don't have skills sufficient to do it on my own.
> Please help if you can or send me links to sites with info on how to do
> this.
> p.s. I don't mind having to code in order to get this done.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Doopah

Windigo

David Candy wrote:
> Put an ampersand between the two.
>
> cmd /c "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe"&Start "" "C:\Documents
> and Settings\All Users\Documents\iTunes rules.txt"
>
> You need Start as you are using file associations for the second item.
>
> "Doopah" <joelcadieux@@@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> I have a massive music collection and wish to have a warning for my
>> family (so they don't rename any songs) appear everytime someone
>> clicks on "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\iTunes.ink"
>>
>> I want the shortcut that opens 2 items:
>> first "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" for iTunes
>> second "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\iTunes
>> rules.txt" for the guidelines to not mess up my music library
>>
>> I've tried but don't have skills sufficient to do it on my own.
>> Please help if you can or send me links to sites with info on how to
>> do this.
>> p.s. I don't mind having to code in order to get this done.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Doopah

An ampersand (&) is the keyboard character that represents the word "and".
Excuse me ,David, I felt this entry was necessary for those of us long past
school days.
--
Gene K

I was looking for the same thing but it dosent seam to work. What os are you guys using. :(