Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading a pre-built PC.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 16, 2011 12:24:31 AM

Hello, I was wondering if I could upgrade my Dell XPS 420's card or if it would be more worthwhile to build my own PC. (I've included a picture of my specs in Speccy, CPU-Z, and GPU-Z.)

http://image.bayimg.com/paidkaadk.jpg

-Sean

P.S. Yes, I'm aware that my card is pretty hot at the moment.

More about : upgrading pre built

June 16, 2011 12:43:01 AM

Bookcase said:
Hello, I was wondering if I could upgrade my Dell XPS 420's card or if it would be more worthwhile to build my own PC. (I've included a picture of my specs in Speccy, CPU-Z, and GPU-Z.)

-Sean

P.S. Yes, I'm aware that my card is pretty hot at the moment.

All that picture tells me is 403 forbidden, I would just build a new one nothing like new stuff with new technology. Whats your budget btw?
m
l
June 16, 2011 12:49:02 AM

I hate that case it is a hot mess, my friend had one and we ended up replacing the psu, installing 1 aditional fan (that was all that was available) and installing a HD 5770, its a decent midrange gaming rig, but nothing special, the antec earthwatts 380w psu would be a great upgrade along with say a 5770 level of gpu, what are the full system specs of your rig?

here is a link to the earthwatts psu:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
June 16, 2011 1:02:03 AM

cia24 said:
All that picture tells me is 403 forbidden, I would just build a new one nothing like new stuff with new technology. Whats your budget btw?

€800 at most.
m
l
June 16, 2011 1:04:29 AM

jjb8675309 said:
I hate that case it is a hot mess, my friend had one and we ended up replacing the psu, installing 1 aditional fan (that was all that was available) and installing a HD 5770, its a decent midrange gaming rig, but nothing special, the antec earthwatts 380w psu would be a great upgrade along with say a 5770 level of gpu, what are the full system specs of your rig?

here is a link to the earthwatts psu:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks for the suggestion. I can't buy from newegg, though. (I live in Ireland.)

Also, I just uploaded a picture of my specs above.
m
l
June 16, 2011 1:07:19 AM

ok well for your processor you will be held back a bit by its lower clock speed but you can get an antec earthwatts 380w psu and an hd 5770 and that would fit your system nicely imo but I would not go any higher than that gpu without oc'ing your cpu which im pretty sure you cannot with a prebuilt dell bios, so make those small suggested upgrades and start saving for a new Sandy Bridge or Bulldozer build, maybe even Ivy Bridge
m
l
June 16, 2011 1:09:46 AM

jjb8675309 said:
ok well for your processor you will be held back a bit by its lower clock speed but you can get an antec earthwatts 380w psu and an hd 5770 and that would fit your system nicely imo but I would not go any higher than that gpu without oc'ing your cpu which im pretty sure you cannot with a prebuilt dell bios, so make those small suggested upgrades and start saving for a new Sandy Bridge or Bulldozer build, maybe even Ivy Bridge

I cannot overclock on a Dell bios (as you said), and I don't think using software to overclock would be very smart, any suggestions?
m
l

Best solution

June 16, 2011 3:33:27 PM

yeah like I said use what you have and do the upgrades I suggested above then start saving for a new build
June 17, 2011 3:48:51 PM

Best answer selected by Bookcase.
m
l
!