Intel 990x wrong turbo speed ?

Ironside79

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Hello,

my 990x cpu when in turbo boost mode, with prime 95 will not go up to 3.7ghz even if i set prime to run on 1 or 2 cores, the max it clocks too is 3.6ghz, i check the turbo boost clocks using intels tb software and cpu-z, both state clock speed of 3.6ghx exactly ? why is this the case when the cpu should tb to 3.7ghz

OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
Power Supply - Corsair Professional Series™ Gold 750W
Motherboard - Asus P6X58D-E Intel X58
Processor - Intel Core i7 990X
CPU Cooler - Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B
CPU Fan - Akasa Viper AK-FN059
Memory - Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3 1600MHz

Ironside79

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Hello,

my 990x cpu when in turbo boost mode, with prime 95 will not go up to 3.7ghz even if i set prime to run on 1 or 2 cores, the max it clocks too is 3.6ghz, i check the turbo boost clocks using intels tb software and cpu-z, both state clock speed of 3.6ghx exactly ? why is this the case when the cpu should tb to 3.7ghz

OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
Power Supply - Corsair Professional Series™ Gold 750W
Motherboard - Asus P6X58D-E Intel X58
Processor - Intel Core i7 990X
CPU Cooler - Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B
CPU Fan - Akasa Viper AK-FN059
Memory - Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3 1600MHz

With the 990X the max turbo tend to be on one core as long as its within the TDP range set for the CPU. When running Prime95, even on one core, its maxing that core out and will not be able to TurboBoost due to that.

You can check your BIOS to make sure its setup properly or go to Asus website and see if there is a BIOS update for better support/stability.

Then its most likley not turboing to 3.7GHz because its hitting its TDP ceiling. Thats how it works. Intel sets a TDP, the turbo will go based on that ceiling and no more. The only way to go higher is by overclocking, which you can only do with very good air cooling or water cooling.

TRENDING THREADS