Nothing happens when I press the power button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobotimizer

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Today I built my first computer i followed all of the instructions on a HAF 922 building demonstration. When I tested my motherboard and psu outside of my case everything worked fine. The fan on the PSU turned on and the motherboard LED did as well. Then i proceeded to put my motherboard in my case followed by CPU the ram then CPU heat-sink and finally the graphics card i plugged my CPU fan into the four pin connector. I then tested to see if everything wold turn on the CPU fan as well as everything else turned on. After the test i plugged in the rest of my components. When I did my final test the system was completely dead no fan or LEDs turn on.
Please help

Specs
HAF 922
Biostar TZ68A+
Coolmaster 212
MSI 560ti twin frozr
Antec Earthwatts Green 650W Power Supply
8gb G.SKILL Ripjaw
Crucial M4 SSD Micron C400 64GB 2.5IN Solid State Disk Flash Drive SATA3 6Gbps
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 7200.12 1TB SATA 32MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive OEM
LG GH24LS70 24X SATA Lightscribe Internal DVD Writer Burner DVDRW Optical Drive Black OEM

Solution
start by paperclipping the psu. if it works then breadboard your system with just mobo, cpu and it's heatsink and pc speaker. If it still works start adding one by one the components until it doesn't work. If all works good on the breadboard, something is short-circuiting in your case.
MrPickle, follow suit.

circulate

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
A) you messed something up, backtrack and start over.

B) you messed something up and the motherboard got shocked/fried.

So either your mobo is dead (not likely) or you need to rebuild it and go through the tests again.

mrpickle

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I have literally the exact same problem. My system booted the first time, I did cable management and close the case, then nothing turns on. No fans, no lights.

What was your solution? Was it the power supply?

vx53c

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
start by paperclipping the psu. if it works then breadboard your system with just mobo, cpu and it's heatsink and pc speaker. If it still works start adding one by one the components until it doesn't work. If all works good on the breadboard, something is short-circuiting in your case.
MrPickle, follow suit.

Solution

mrpickle

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Doesn't the paperclip method only show if the PSU works under nearly zero load? From what I've read it's probable that even with a successful paperclip test the mobo still won't power with a faulty PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.