Solved

Upgrading Phenom II X3 720 to i5 2500k

I've never had a quad core and I thought with Sandy Bridge out and all now would be a good time to upgrade.

Right now I have a Phenom II X3 720 which is a tri-core.

Will upgrading to the i5 2500k be worth it? Is it significantly better? Gonna be using it as a gaming rig by the way
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrading phenom 2500k
  1. Yes is worth. Is a big difference between those 2 CPU-us.And you wiil gain significant performance.
  2. What graphics card do you have? If its 5770/6770 or below then upgrade that 1st as for gaming the GPU is more important but if you have a good modern graphics card then yes the 2500K will be a big improvement.
  3. simon12 said:
    What graphics card do you have? If its 5770/6770 or below then upgrade that 1st as for gaming the GPU is more important but if you have a good modern graphics card then yes the 2500K will be a big improvement.

    That's pretty amazing how you guessed my graphics card. I have a 5770 and the reason I want to upgrade my CPU is because I'm afraid of my current CPU from bottlenecking the newer graphics card. Am I wrong to think this?
  4. Your 720BE is fine.

    As noted, it's the video card that will ultimately determine your gaming performance.

    If for some reason you feel your processor is holding you back, the AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition Deneb 3.5GHz is $130 with code EMCJJJC33 valid till 11/22/2011.

    Quote:
    I'm afraid of my current CPU from bottlenecking the newer graphics card. Am I wrong to think this?


    Pretty much.

    Especially if your cpu is over-clocked and you have cranked the IMC/NB to 2400MHz+ ...
  5. Best answer
    The Phenom x3 and 5770 go well together and neither should be holding the other back, so if you got the 2500K you will not see a big improvement in gaming except in the most CPU hungry games. A better upgrade would be to a 6870 or better this would give you a better improvement in performance alot cheaper. It does depend a bit on what resolution you are using I am basing this on it being around 1920 x 1080.
  6. Most games that can use up to 4 cores do not use the 4th core effectively. Based on an Anandtech (I beleive it was Anandtech) review about CPU scaling in games that can take advantage of 4 cores:

    1. Going from 2 cores to 3 cores yielded on average around a 27% increase in performance.

    2. Going from 3 cores to 4 cores yielded on average around a 6% increase in performance.

    Perhaps you can overclock your CPU to improve performance. Or better yet, upgrade your video card. Most games are GPU dependent rather than CPU dependent so a more powerful video card will benefit you more than a new CPU & mobo. It will cost less too, unless you go for a high performance video card.
  7. Here is an older article from Anand on the 720BE and an HD4870/4870 CF. You HD5770 is actually quite similar to the HD4870 (without DX11, of course).

    Under the Far Cry benchies (not a good game for AMD, anyway) you can see the impact of an over-clock on the processor and IMC/NB can make with a single card and in Crossfire.
  8. Best answer selected by redness.
  9. Wisecracker said:
    Here is an older article from Anand on the 720BE and an HD4870/4870 CF. You HD5770 is actually quite similar to the HD4870 (without DX11, of course).

    Under the Far Cry benchies (not a good game for AMD, anyway) you can see the impact of an over-clock on the processor and IMC/NB can make with a single card and in Crossfire.

    This is a bit embarassing to admit but I don't overclock. The last time I did, I must have done something wrong since it pretty much bricked the system, ever since then I haven't overclocked.

    Will upgrading my video card rather than my CPU still be viable since I don't have my 720 overclocked?
  10. *double post*
  11. mmm..

    I just got a X2 555(3200mhz) with a Ati 6770 (850mhz/1200mhz) and I play BF3 Ultra settings (30-50FPS) on a 1280x720 LCD TV.

    Since I overclocked both my cpu@4400mhz, I get about 10fps more.

    If you feel adventurous and have a good mobo, by a better heatsink than the stock one and try to overclock before buying anything else.

    In your case, I would say that your cpu would be the bottleneck most of the time. Core speed is more important in gaming than the number of cores. Well this what I have been told a few times.

    Tell me if I am wrongbut your CPU is BE (Black edition). So you should not have any problem increasing the multiplier.

    Good luck.
  12. By the way, I have a Asus M5a97 as a mobo. So it shutdown automaticaly if ti becomes too hot or unstable.

    If you don't have such a protection, read a bit about overclocking your CPU with your mobo before doing anything.
  13. redness said:
    This is a bit embarassing to admit but I don't overclock. The last time I did, I must have done something wrong since it pretty much bricked the system, ever since then I haven't overclocked.

    Will upgrading my video card rather than my CPU still be viable since I don't have my 720 overclocked?


    Sure.

    And if you feel down the road you need a little bump in performance, the fine folks in the THG AMD Over-Clocking Forum will be happy to help you 'maximize' your rig.

    __
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i5 Phenom Product