Sign in with
Your question

"Memory Management" BSOD Sabertooth X79

Last response: in Memory
August 19, 2012 7:33:02 AM

Hello
A couple of months ago I replaced my Athlon II x4 630 and Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H with an i7 3820 and a Sabertooth X79. I installed all of the New motherboard's drivers and un-installed all of the old motherboard's drivers, but I occasionally get the "Memory Management" BSOD. My RAM is Corsair XMS3 1333Mhz RAM so it's highly unlikely the motherboard is in-compatible, it's pretty basic memory. I never got this kind of issue before the upgrade so I don't think anything is wrong with my RAM.

I've seen some people have Windows instantly BSOD after changing CPU and Chipset, and had to reinstall Windows, do you think this could resolve my issue? Because I want to avoid that as it is pretty in-convenient given that I have 100Gb of Steam games and about 30GB of other important applications.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
a c 105 } Memory
a c 145 V Motherboard
August 19, 2012 7:37:45 AM

That's a memory stability issue. If you haven't done so already, update your firmware to the latest revision which is 2104 for your motherboard.

XMS is widely known as being quite finicky.

Did you use the same memory for your old PC on your new one? If so, you should get an actual quad channel kit of Corsair Vengeance or Mushkin Redline instead.
August 20, 2012 9:00:13 AM

Pinhedd said:
That's a memory stability issue. If you haven't done so already, update your firmware to the latest revision which is 2104 for your motherboard.

XMS is widely known as being quite finicky.

Did you use the same memory for your old PC on your new one? If so, you should get an actual quad channel kit of Corsair Vengeance or Mushkin Redline instead.

I did use the same memory in both builds, but last night I got a BSOD with a different error (but it was late so I didn't think to note it down). So either their's multiple issues or one issue causing multiple problems, but I know that some people have had Windows refuse to boot and instantly BSOD after changing to a different motherboard chipset, so I think that might have something to do with my issues, I plan on backing up my steam library and then reinstalling Windows and see if that helps
Related resources
a c 105 } Memory
a c 145 V Motherboard
August 20, 2012 11:08:30 AM

Geek55 said:
I did use the same memory in both builds, but last night I got a BSOD with a different error (but it was late so I didn't think to note it down). So either their's multiple issues or one issue causing multiple problems, but I know that some people have had Windows refuse to boot and instantly BSOD after changing to a different motherboard chipset, so I think that might have something to do with my issues, I plan on backing up my steam library and then reinstalling Windows and see if that helps

Memory instability can result in a number of different BSODs and outright freezes. It's very non-deterministic because the error manifests as a result of an inaccurate read/write resulting from the instability. Since the read/write error is very pseudo-random it could occur anywhere within the SDRAM address space and in a number of different ways. This means that a large number of different errors are expected with some being more common than others.

Using the same memory for both builds is a big no-no. You should get an actual quad channel set of something other than XMS3, preferably Corsair Vengeance, Corsair Dominator, Mushkin Redline, Mushkin Blackline, G.Skill Ripjaws, or Kingston Hyper-X; this is by no means an exclusive list as there are other very good memory lines out there, they just don't include the Corsair XMS or G.Skill Ares.
August 20, 2012 1:19:36 PM

Pinhedd said:
Memory instability can result in a number of different BSODs and outright freezes. It's very non-deterministic because the error manifests as a result of an inaccurate read/write resulting from the instability. Since the read/write error is very pseudo-random it could occur anywhere within the SDRAM address space and in a number of different ways. This means that a large number of different errors are expected with some being more common than others.

Using the same memory for both builds is a big no-no. You should get an actual quad channel set of something other than XMS3, preferably Corsair Vengeance, Corsair Dominator, Mushkin Redline, Mushkin Blackline, G.Skill Ripjaws, or Kingston Hyper-X; this is by no means an exclusive list as there are other very good memory lines out there, they just don't include the Corsair XMS or G.Skill Ares.

Currently running Memtest-86, up to pass 3 with no errors, I'll leave it running until tomorrow morning just to be on the safe side.
!