Black Screen While Playing Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdm5

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Hi, every time i play games the screen turns black, but the speaker still has noise coming out of it for 15 seconds and then the noise becomes all messed up. The time it turns black varies depending on the game. Crysis 2 only lastes 5 minutes until the screen blacks out and when i tried the game again and for some reason the screen cut in half and the left side of the screen was on the right. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and NBA 2k11 lasts for 30 minutes to an hour. The computer is still on and my tv is still on but the screen is black and i'm forced to manually reset the computer. I have unlocked the extra shaders on my Sapphire Radeon 6950 2gb by modding my bios with RBE. However i have reflashed my card back to the original bios and the problem still occurs. I have reseated my card (it's in the second PCI Express because my Noctua NH-D14 is blocking the first slot). I have tried different power leads and same thing. I'm sure that it's not overheating and i'm not overclocking. The powerplay is disabled with RBE. It's my first build so i never had a previous video card or nvidia drivers, however i do have Physx software to play Batman Arkham Asylum or else a General Protection Fault pops up. Anyways i'm have the lastest drivers. I've also uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled it and nothing. I'm wondering if my card is broken or defective because it works perfectly if i'm not playing games. I'm also wondering if Newegg would exchange the card if i took out the upc for a rebate or i have to RMA it with Sapphire.

Specs:
CPU: i5 2500k
MB: Asrock P67 Extreme4
Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2gb(Reference Card)
PSU: Corsair AX750w

Odd....!

Did the card ever work right as a 6950, and when using it in the 2nd PCI-e slot?

I heard Asus has a SW tool (that works on all 6950s, however) for allowing/viewing/changing gpu core voltage, adjustment of freqs, etc..
I think I'd be checking that assorted GPU voltages/freqs are set to nominal levels via software tools first....

Did the malfunctions start only immediately after the BIOS reflash?

Regarding RMA, check with Newegg first, but, they may very well tell you to take up the issue with Sapphire...

sdm5

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Well i didn't really test the card when i first bought it because i flashed it to a modded bios and the screen turns black while gaming, but i did set it to the backup bios and the problem still occured. I think its the card or a software related issue.

sdm5

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
I apologize to everyone because it turns out that my card was overheating. The fan speed is set on auto and for some reason it doesn't increase my fan speed while gaming. Now i just manually set my fan speed to 65% in CCC(much louder than 24%). Thank you everyone for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.