Sign in with
Your question

Gaming laptop - core i5 vs i3 vs amd processor ?

Last response: in CPUs
November 17, 2011 5:35:51 AM

Hello, i am planning to buy a laptop specially for gaming laptop , i m confused between core i5 vs i3 vs amd processors ! both with 1gb dedicated graphics ! so tel me which suitable will perform better for gaming like GTA 4 ?
November 17, 2011 5:56:07 AM

I will start this post on a somewhat negative note: most desktop gamers will snub a desktop replacement or gaming laptop, they are more expensive and deliver lower performance typically on smaller monitors. You lose portability on a 17 inch laptop and graphics cards are typically underclocked on 15 inch laptops because of cooling limitations (at least it used to be this way).

I bought a 1,000 dollar dell laptop 5 years ago as a gaming laptop and I regret spending that money to this very day, not that the laptop hasn't been useful, but it is gigantic, heavy, and handily outperformed by the gaming desktops of its time.

I am not trying to put you down, please don't take it that way, I just wanted to give you my personal opinion from past experience.

Now, if you have to have a laptop because you want portability I recommend a 15.6 in screen because anything larger is annoying to carry around. Cyberpower PC provides some benchmarks with the laptops they sell, check there for starters.
m
l
a c 141 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
a b D Laptop
November 17, 2011 9:12:53 PM

It depends on which graphics card it comes with. On intels its usually an Nvidea 500 series where the low end is typically a 520M which gets beat by the integrated GPU in the A6/A8 laptops.

Me, I'd want at least a 540m for gaming.
m
l
a c 188 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
November 17, 2011 9:26:49 PM

A couple simple rules. For gaming the GPU is more important than the processor. You still want to make sure that you have at least 4 threads of support from the processor so an quad core (best) or a dual core with hyper-threading (something like Intel® Core™ i5-2520m would work or even better would be Intel Core i7-2630QM). Battery life will suck on a gaming laptop so make sure you get a back up battery or a 12 cell battery to help deal with the shorter battery life.

In the end really sit down and look at how you are going to get the most out of your laptop and then pick the laptop based on how you are going to use it.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
!