Sign in with
Your question

Hey guys, old school setup questions! 775 Era!

Last response: in Motherboards
August 19, 2012 12:09:31 PM

Hello there,
I'm currently throwing together an older system to get me by as i'm skint and need a setup. The long term plan is to have everything ready for an i7 but using a 775 Mobo/CPU with DDR2 ram (So up to date hard drives, PSU, graphics cards etc) then save up for the i7 in the future.

I've currently bought an iP35 Pro motherboard, OCZ Reaper DDR2-800 ram and an E8400 CPU. I'll be using a Prolimatech Megahalems (Ideally wanted a Noctua NH-D14 but I was concerned with clearance. Plus I got the megahalems dirt cheap!) and would like to overclock the setup as best as I can (another reason for the cheaper 775 build as it'll be my first ever overclock. Research and theory only helps things going bang to a degree lol!)

My first problem, I have 6GB of ram, 3x2GB. Can I actually use all 6GB or will I only be able to use 4GB till I find another stick on the eBays? Thanks guys :) 
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 19, 2012 1:13:59 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

Assuming the 'ABIT IP35 Pro' it has 4xDIMM DDR2 slots supporting up to 8GB (4x2GB) RAM. So assuming: 1. DDR2 RAM, 2. 64-bit OS (>4GB requires a 64-bit OS) then the RAM should work just not in Dual Channel mode (2x or 4x and same GB/channel).

There are 'apps' that can make a 32-bit OS 'see' >4GB e.g. http://www.howorks.com/2011/02/24/how-to-remove-windows... but I haven't used them so I cannot recommend them either; use at your own risk.
August 19, 2012 2:45:57 PM

Okey dokey, cool :)  It does indeed have 4 slots supporting upto 8gb :)  Is there any downside to using all 6gb without the dual channel mode, or will it work better than 4gb in dual channel mode? I'm still learning what alot of this means as i've been out of computers a long time! :) 

I'll be running 7 64-bit dude so I avoid that issue luckily :D 
August 19, 2012 2:47:01 PM

PS> Thanks for the greet ^_^ I've used Tom's Hardware ALOT for reviews over the last few weeks gaining a view for what hardware is worth getting. I know i'm only using a E8400 but might as well get the best of it seeing as old parts are fairly cheap these days :) 
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 19, 2012 6:41:59 PM

Rizzstar said:
Is there any downside to using all 6gb without the dual channel mode, or will it work better than 4gb in dual channel mode?

No not really, and more RAM is better.

Rizzstar said:
E8400

That CPU will bottleneck a current GPU, but as you update your system that will be corrected.

Interesting video that pertains to you - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0quvkEOMIXM
!