Sign in with
Your question

Apps crash in Win7, need help finding Hardware problem

Last response: in Systems
August 19, 2011 1:57:44 AM

Hi there. I thought this is the right forum considering I built my PC at home.
It's simple:
I have a quite nice system where, in 2 different HDD I have Win7 and WinXP installed.
Why XP? Because I have some problems in Win7 that I could never solve, crashes.
They are not BSOD's. They're not driver related (i worked quite a lot updating all drivers with a sevenforums technician and that didn't do it). Memory was checked, also temps with monitoring softwares.
This is what happen:
Most times it happens when I'm playing my RST game Company of Heroes (it also happens with other critical apps).
I start suddenly loosing some audio layers in the game, when that happens I know already that I'm facing an inevitable crash. The process goes on until it freezes completely. But... one nice and sunny day I tried waiting instead of reseting and guess what happened: after some minutes (don't remember how many, about 5?) the computer came back (of course the game was already useless because my opponent had surely dropped already).
This doesn't happen in XP, I actually installed XP only to play this game which I still didn't manage to make it work without crashes in W7.
I need to know where to start from some pro, considering that (i think) i already went through the obvious stuff.
Probably some steps that confirm it's a hardware related problem and not software, and after that (in case of hardware) where to start replacing parts until i don't have crashes anymore.
System specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs)
4GB Ram (2x2GB Corsair dominator DDR2)
MB: Gigabyte EP45-UD3
ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB
2x HDD Seagate Barracuda 1.5 TB 7200 rpm
Dual screen
PSU Corsair 650W
WINDOWS 7 Ultimate x64

Thanks a lot.

a c 136 B Homebuilt system
August 19, 2011 3:08:05 AM

I'd borrow a graphics card from a friend and try that . Any card

Clean out the drivers completely and all the gfx software .. CCC etc

and see what happens
August 19, 2011 3:13:48 AM

Outlander_04 said:
I'd borrow a graphics card from a friend and try that . Any card

Clean out the drivers completely and all the gfx software .. CCC etc

and see what happens

But the problem is within Win7, GPU card works fine in XP, besides the same crash in Win7 applies for other apps like Kontakt 4 audio sampler, same behavior and GPU not involved.
Related resources
August 19, 2011 12:15:25 PM

Thanks for your responses, but i already even formatted my drive and did a clean install and the problem persisted. As I told you i think I already went trough the obvious stuff. If you think this is a windows problem because the game (among other apps) doesn't crash in XP.., well, that's a dilema i still have, but the problem persists on a clean and fresh win7 install, so I already tried. (My win7 is a Windows 7 Ultimate copy)
Thanks again for the answers.
My ideas:
Install Windows Home Premium instead of ultimate?
Hardware:
PSU?, HDD where win7 is installed? overheating? (i already monitored it but i heard monitoring can be deceiving)
memory? (I already checked it with memtest)
!