Sign in with
Your question

Dual Monitor DVI/HDMI Setup (not VGA)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 16, 2011 9:33:56 AM

Hi,

I have been going round in circles trying to find the answers to these questions before I make a purchase.

I have 2 monitors (1680x1050 & 1280x1024) with DVI inputs. I am getting a new PC built and need to choose the graphics card to run these two monitors digitally (not VGA/DSub). There will be no gaming - just generic desktop apps.

Rather than 2xDVI interfaces most low end cards come with 1xHDMI, 1xDVI & 1xVGA.

So my questions are:

#1: can I use a HDMI->DVI adaptor to get the 2xDVI inputs I need.

#2: Will both HDMI & DVI be able to drive the monitors or is it one or the other

#3: Will the HDMI only do 1080 or 720 or will it be able to output other resolutions to achieve native res on the monitors.

Cards which are available to me off the shelf are:

ASUS nVidia GeForce 210 Silent 512MB
NVIDIA GeForce GT 440 1GB
ATI Radeon HD 5570 1GB

Thanks in advance.
June 16, 2011 12:22:10 PM

yes a hdmi to dvi adapter will work and the second monitor will be extended and doesnt matter what connection (unless your using dsub which i dont think is your case) you use... it will allow you to use the native resolution of your monitor... your monitor's resolution is not that big... dsub can handle up to full hd i think... and any of the graphics card you mention will work
June 16, 2011 12:31:30 PM

tomate2 said:
yes a hdmi to dvi adapter will work and the second monitor will be extended and doesnt matter what connection (unless your using dsub which i dont think is your case) you use... it will allow you to use the native resolution of your monitor... your monitor's resolution is not that big... dsub can handle up to full hd i think... and any of the graphics card you mention will work

Thanks for that. I did think that would be the case but i did get conflicting opinions upto now.

For clarification - 1680x1050 would be possible from the HDMI (with DVI adaptor) output?
!