Help!...Graphics card problem

sontm

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
I just bought a Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 5570, this one is PCIe 2.1 but my motherboard only support PCIe 2.0 (Acer mcp73t-AD). I installed the driver and reset the computer but when it was loading the monitor turned green and switched to stend by mode. I tried to reset many times but still nothing. I'm able to load in windows with safe mode but it turns to this
unled23b.jpg

unledpi.jpg

Does any body knows what problem is this ?? Is it because PCIe 2.0 ?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
It looks like a bit of a dead card. There is no issue with 2.1 going into a 2.0 board (or at least shouldn't be). The issues arise with 2.1 going into a 1.0 board.

Id get another card known to work fine and try it in your rig, if it works fine, you have a dead card and thus need to RMA it. If not, i suggest taking a look at your power supply as it may not be able to send the juice needed to the card.

Is your power supply good enough for the card? Got all extra power plugs attached if needed?

Make sure your resolution and refresh rate are set for the monitor's specs. If it's an LCD, start at 1024x768 and at 60hz. LCDs should not be moved from 60hz, unless you have a 120hz monitor. You may want to check the cables.

If it looks like this after these changes, check the card in another PC.

sontm

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
ohh wow finally found someone with the problem i had.
i had a 5770 sapphire and had the same issue.
i got my money back and used my old 9800gtx+ till i could find something better.

it seems your card is faulty.
so if i get the new HD 5570 will it work fine??

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Did you try a different monitor cord? I had a similar issue with one of my cards showing spots on the screen, I was sure it was the card, but turned out it was the DVI cable.

If it's not that, then I dunno.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
I would say try reloading your OS from scratch and see if that works. But thats a lot of work, best bet is to try the card in another computer. Is that possible? Very well could be drivers still left on your system corrupting your driver install. Did you try driver sweeper? I've had bad driver installs before that couldn't be fixed (by me anyways), and have had to wipe the system and start fresh which fixed the problem. Not saying thats it, but the problem with troubleshooting is you have a lot to rule out, and a fresh install is the best way to rule out software issues, leaving you to deal with troubleshooting the hardware.

If it's not the software, and it's not the card, it could be bad pcie slot, but if your old card is working then thats probably not it. Might not be getting enough power. Might need to upgrade your motherboard firmware, maybe it's reacting funny to the PCIE 2.1, which is supposed to be backwards compatible, but you never know. The only problem with that though, is if you mess up you could render your M.B. dead. The odds of getting 2 bad cards is low, but it's possible.