VTX3D HD 6970 keeps crashing

Drewster196

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Hello,

I'm having a major problem with my 6970. I received my new PC yesterday, and it worked perfectly when i first started it and installed windows. However, after installing the latest drivers (ver. 11.6), the graphics card started crashing like every 2 minutes, showing the "AMD driver stopped working and has recovered" or smth like that. I'm wondering whether the problem is caused by the drivers or if the card's broken.. The last one seems very unlikely tho.. Any ideas?

Specs:

Win7 Home Premium 64bit
i7 2600K
P8P67 Pro Motherboard
Vertex3D Radeon HD 6970
4GB of memory

Thanks for any help.

Drewster196

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Thank you. I'm currently reinstalling windows, just to make sure that i get rid of every last bit of the 11.6 version. I'll let you know how it goes.. My hopes are high.

Drewster196

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Alright, i tried everything you suggested. Revision 11.xx drivers didn't work, i'm still getting the same error message. I tried to downgrade to revision 10.xx, but they didn't allow me to set the resolution at 1920x1080. So those are out of the question. I'm seriously starting to think about returning this gpu and asking for a refund and then getting a GTX580.. :(

Vertex makes your 6970? Or is that just the model?

11.4 or 11.5 should work fine.If the card was working fine before the new drivers were installed then it's definitly driver related.

Follow the steps i've listed above.Make sure you restart after you uninstall any drivers then restart again after they are installed.

Drewster196

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
I'm not sure i know what you mean, but the card uses the ATI chipset, it's just assembled by Vertex. As for your instructions, i followed them to the word (uninstall-restart-install-restart) but still no joy. I'm going to try the 10.12a hotfix now.

Drewster196

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
I just tested the hotfix, that didn't fix it either.. And i just realized that i never tried to play anything before installing the drivers. So i'm gonna try that now, and if it still doesn't work, then the card's probably broken or my PSU isn't good enough.

Drewster196

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
First of all, sorry for triple posting. This site doesn't let me edit my posts

Second, i tried removing the 10.12 drivers, restarted, and everything worked fine again. So, fortunately, there's nothing wrong with the PC itself.

I'm not sure on this so I could be wrong,but the 69xx series wasn't released until December so I'm not sure if anything previous of 11.3 or 11.2 will even have support for the 69xx series.I would stay above 11.2. I just remember using the 11.4 for a long time.

I meant who manufactured your 6970?(Asus,MSI,etc.)It's just that i've never heard of Vertex making a GPU.

Drewster196

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011

Oh, i never thought of that. I'll give it a try. :)

Drewster196

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
i have to agree on this one but AMD do make some brilliant gpu's.
however if the drivers were as good as the cards then i would be back with them.

True, the cards are great if you can get 'em to work.. Speaking of that, i tried the driver that i downloaded from the VTX3D site, no success. I'm slowly getting cornered, with only one way out - and that is getting an Nvidia card... However, i emailed the shop i ordered this pc from and told them about the problem, i hope they will reply soon and either help me to solve the problem or trade the HD6970 for a GTX 570. We'll see.

You should still have the Warranty for the Card itself,since your the end user.

I've had my 6870 for 6 months and not once have I ever had a driver problem.The 6970 is not a bad card at all.I bet the fault lies with Vertex.I honestly have never heard of that company before,maybe for good reason?

Did the PC come with the driver disc for the 6970? Try using that.

If you've done all that and it's still not working, you have a bad card.

I would encourage you to try an Nvidia, if you're thinking in that direction. I traded in my crossfire setup for my 2 580s and have had absolutely no problem since.

It's definitely a driver thing on those AMD cards.

Drewster196

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011

No, i didn't find a driver disc when i opened the box.. I thought that isn't a problem since I could download the same drivers from their site.. It seems like it is.

@ubercake - Yeah, i think that's the best option. Gotta ask the guy who sold me this pc to trade this card for some good Nvidia one. If he doesn't want to - well, then i'm going to buy a new one anyway. Preferably a GTX570 or 580.

There's no reason a card shouldn't work at all. The guy who sold it to you should at least exchange it for a new one. If possible, bring your PC and show him what's going on. That's your best option for the money. If he won't do anything about it, I'd get the Nvidia card from someone else.

When you buy a video card, you should always be able to download the drivers from the chipset designer (Nvidia or AMD).

If you ever come across a card where something states otherwise, avoid it at all costs.

Drewster196

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011

Thanks. The guy told me to try the card with another pc and see if it works. If not, he'll probably ask me to return it. I have no idea whether he will replace it with a new 6970 that's made by another manufacturer like Asus or if he'll give me an nvidia. Luckily, i'll be on the road for the next 2 weeks so it's not that important atm. I'll have time to think about that later :)