Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Headset cable coiling - annoying!

Last response: in Components
November 17, 2011 10:07:36 AM

Hi Guys,

I know its all about the current flowing through the wire making it coil up but I've only had my steelseries siberia v2 headset for about a month and the coiling is rediculous!

Is there anyway to prevent this?

Thanks,
Kev
November 17, 2011 10:59:44 AM

None I know of. Annoying as heck. You think someone out there would have designed a "no coil wire" or something...
November 17, 2011 11:15:33 AM

gamerk316 said:
None I know of. Annoying as heck. You think someone out there would have designed a "no coil wire" or something...

They have, they call them wireless headphones :) 

On topic, yes it is very annoying, my Corsair ones coil up all the time.
Related resources
November 17, 2011 12:02:20 PM

I've done audio professionally and NEVER heard of this. Either you read bad info or somebody's playing a joke on you.

There is no way that a headphone cable can coil itself via the electrical power in the signal. No way. At all. Nowhere near enough power to do that over a time span of years, not to mention months.

The only way that wires get kinks, coils, twists, whatever you want to call them... is from not being stored properly. If you just wrap the cord around your hand, elbow, (or via any other method), the internal conductors move around or stretch inside the outer jacket, and then the insides and outsides don't fit together the way they should, causing the cable to take shapes that it wasn't meant to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j1Wdc-ymbI
November 17, 2011 12:30:43 PM

the cord is very short...only running from my head to the keyboard...why would it be a case that its not being stored properly...
November 17, 2011 12:45:36 PM

kevo56 said:
Hi Guys,

I know its all about the current flowing through the wire making it coil up but I've only had my steelseries siberia v2 headset for about a month and the coiling is rediculous!

Is there anyway to prevent this?

Thanks,
Kev

Thats utter bollocks, it'll be the way you pick them up and put them down that puts a rotation in them everytime you do it. The current is insignificantly small.
November 17, 2011 12:56:01 PM

13thmonkey said:
Thats utter bollocks, it'll be the way you pick them up and put them down that puts a rotation in them everytime you do it. The current is insignificantly small.

I pick them up and put them back down evactly the same way every time...the cable is very short...not hard to manage

New twists appear after they've been on my head...the current thing may not be true but your theory is also 'bollocks'
November 17, 2011 1:29:55 PM

H'mm. I have had a set of Altec Lansing enclosed headphones with a 6ft. cable and 3.5mm audi jack for nearly 3 years. I use them exclusively as my sound delivery and they don't as much as have a wrinkle in the cord.
According to a review I saw on your headphones, they have a 1meter cable attached and are supposed to come with an additional 2 meter extension cable. That's 3 meters of cable and they're twisting???
Trust me, it's not the electron gremlins doing it!
November 17, 2011 1:30:13 PM

Quote:
They have, they call them wireless headphones

Which can't be used with a soundcard, have crappy Dynamic Range, and pick up a lot of background static.
November 17, 2011 1:36:12 PM

DelroyMonjo said:
H'mm. I have had a set of Altec Lansing enclosed headphones with a 6ft. cable and 3.5mm audi jack for nearly 3 years. I use them exclusively as my sound delivery and they don't as much as have a wrinkle in the cord.
According to a review I saw on your headphones, they have a 1meter cable attached and are supposed to come with an additional 2 meter extension cable. That's 3 meters of cable and they're twisting???
Trust me, it's not the electron gremlins doing it!

Yeah I don't use the 2 meter extension cable...i've tried straighting the cable but it just squirms back into it's irratating position getting progressively worse
I've experienced it with many headsets...it's worse with thin cables - I was expecting it to be okay with these with such a short and relatively thick cable
November 17, 2011 1:45:58 PM

Is that a swivel chair I see in your avatar photo?
November 17, 2011 1:48:14 PM

DelroyMonjo said:
Is that a swivel chair I see in your avatar photo?

It is...and I know what you're getting at lol :na: 
November 17, 2011 2:24:22 PM

Current coiling lol thats an interesting theory but as stated it is completey incorrect there in nowhere near enough current to coil/move/shift/warp or do anything to the wire.

It is a simple fact that you are picking it up and putting it down while rotating it each time, coiling the wire. You may not notice it i didnt for a while, i used to do it all the time annoyed the hell out of me so i bought g930's best purchase i made in a long while worth every penny.
November 17, 2011 2:36:35 PM

Nugless said:
Current coiling lol thats an interesting theory but as stated it is completey incorrect there in nowhere near enough current to coil/move/shift/warp or do anything to the wire.

It is a simple fact that you are picking it up and putting it down while rotating it each time, coiling the wire. You may not notice it i didnt for a while, i used to do it all the time annoyed the hell out of me so i bought g930's best purchase i made in a long while worth every penny.

be careful, you'll be told that your perfectly practical theory is bollocks, compared to utter tosh being spouted originally by the oh-so-knowledgeable OP.
November 17, 2011 2:49:53 PM

13thmonkey said:
be careful, you'll be told that your perfectly practical theory is bollocks, compared to utter tosh being spouted originally by the oh-so-knowledgeable OP.

Wow...no need to be so childish.
I never said the theory was correct or true, I just heard it from a few people...I also simply quoted your 'bollocks' when replying to you also...maybe if your reponse wasnt so bad mannered I may have been grateful for your response..

Why is it that people seem to think its necessary to be rude and overly critical just because they're on the internet
!