Sign in with
Your question

Verizon dsl modem connected to Internet but unable to access...

Last response: in Networking
October 10, 2010 2:38:01 AM

I have been using verizon dsl for about two years now. Yesterday I woke up and was unable to access the Internet from my computer. I navigated to my modem/router's main page because once in a while I'll have to reboot it to get it to reconnect. Upon going there I was surprised to see that the modem was connected to the Internet just fine. After talking with verizon tech support last night for several hours they decided to send me a new replacement of my modem/router, the Westell 7500. I had two pc's and two xbox's connected to it and nothing could connect to the internet.

Instead of waiting and being a bit curious I pulled out my old modem, a westell 6100 and wired it straight to my windows seven pc. First off I made sure that I could connect to the modem and that it was connected to the Internet. It is bu I'm still unable to access any web pages. It tells me that PPP status is up.

In cmd I am able to ping yahoo.com and google.com successfully. Sometimes I get 50% packet loss but usually it is 25% or 0%.

Please, any help that you can offer is much appreciated. I don't think that the new modem will help if my spare isn't working. I'm using a windows 7 pc and google chrome right now. Thanks in advance for any help.
October 11, 2010 5:44:17 PM

That's a huge packet loss, you should be at 0.

You may have an issue with your phone lines. Phone companies do make changes in things, maybe move a line around or switch how the signal travels.

Do you get a DNS error when you try to go online? From the direct modem connection can you ping your Gateway and DNS servers with no loss?
m
l
October 12, 2010 3:08:36 PM

No Dns error pops up or anything.

From the cmd screen if I type ipconfig /all both my gateway and my default dns server show as 192.168.1.1. I don't know if that is right or not but yes, I am able to ping that address with 0% loss everytime.
m
l
Related resources
October 12, 2010 3:48:08 PM

MichaelMenace said:
No Dns error pops up or anything.

From the cmd screen if I type ipconfig /all both my gateway and my default dns server show as 192.168.1.1. I don't know if that is right or not but yes, I am able to ping that address with 0% loss everytime.

Is that 192 showing up when you are connected directly to the modem? That should not be then. You should see the gateway as the modem IP, and the dns server as the ISP server. Can you go into the configuration of the router and check if it's getting all the IPs set normally from the modem? See what the DNS server is set to in the router and try to ping that.

Is your IP set to static config by any chance?
m
l
October 12, 2010 4:52:07 PM

Ok. The modem is the gateway ip which as you said is correct.

Now, after going into the modem config page, which still states that I'm connected normally, I went to the DSL connection information page. On this page there is a section that says IP Network Address. The information from this page is as follows;

PPP: 10.11.10.127
Primary DNS: 206.46.230.148
Secondary DNS: 71.250.0.12

When trying to ping any of these addresses in cmd I receive the following message 4 times (100% packet loss rate).

PING: transmit failed. General failure.

As for whether or not my ip is set to static. I've checked the automatically configure in my Internet options. Is the somewhere else I should look to make sure of this?

This is all very frustrating as this computer build is less than a month old and I have been playing games a lot and am now unable too.
m
l
October 12, 2010 4:59:09 PM

If you can't ping your DNS, there is the issue. See if there is a reset button on the modem to force it to reconnect to the ISP. This usually works with no issues, but may require a call to them to re-setup your connection. Since you are on DSL, the modem may require you to enter a username and password for that PPP connection.

You should not have to also reset your router, but may be a good idea also. Shut off both modem and router. Reset the modem (not just unplug it, there should be a reset button somewhere), once the modem is up, turn on the router. Then check your computers for connectivity, try to ping the DNS servers again.
m
l
!