Why does it appear everyone is anti-nintendo?

Tags:
  • Console Gaming
  • Games
  • Gamecube
  • Nintendo
  • Video Games
  • Product
Last response: in Video Games
February 2, 2005 1:59:10 PM

Archived from groups: uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

Whenever I read articles, or to be honest, this appears to be most peoples
opinion, there always appears to be this "oh god its only Nintendo"?

I would love to ask these people some questions.....

Why is it Nintendo are responsible for the majority of "all time" best
ever games?
Who invented the d-pad?
Who came up with shoulder buttons?
Where did the analogue stick originate from?
Why is it the GC controller is the most accessible & comfortable
controller that exists?
Who invented rumble?
Who knocked out the first wireless controller?
Who produced the first handheld? (ok, i'm not 100% on this one but I'm
sure it was the GB)
Who has the console that is (pretty much) free from piracy?

Now come on, where would any other games console maker be today if it
weren't for some of the wonderful inventions nintendo produced?

I think much, much more respect is due to Nintendo, fair enough they are
lagging behind other companies but a lot of that is down to 3rd party
support rather than the geniuses behind other consoles. It pisses me off to
think all these tossers and twats out there forget history and just jump on
whoever has the most processing power in their console or who has the most
sales. Props to MS though for getting online gaming up, what has sony done
again?? Oh yeah, the EyeToy.......major contribution I must say.

Rant over.

Kev

More about : anti nintendo

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 2:41:47 PM

Archived from groups: uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

> Where did the analogue stick originate from?
Not Nintendo
> Why is it the GC controller is the most accessible & comfortable
> controller that exists?
I agree, but that's a matter of personal preference.
> Who invented rumble?
Not Nintendo
> Who knocked out the first wireless controller?
Not Nintendo

> It pisses me off to
> think all these tossers and twats out there forget history and just jump on
> whoever has the most processing power in their console or who has the most
> sales.

They haven't forgotten history, they never knew it. For them,
PlayStation was the first games console.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 3:03:30 PM

"Fry" <try@skingme.com> wrote in message
>> Where did the analogue stick originate from?
> Not Nintendo
>> Why is it the GC controller is the most accessible & comfortable
>> controller that exists?
> I agree, but that's a matter of personal preference.
>> Who invented rumble?
> Not Nintendo
>> Who knocked out the first wireless controller?
> Not Nintendo
>
>> It pisses me off to think all these tossers and twats out there forget
>> history and just jump on whoever has the most processing power in their
>> console or who has the most sales.
>
> They haven't forgotten history, they never knew it. For them, PlayStation
> was the first games console.

How true....playstation was the first mainstream console and for some reason
people (journalists?) seem to think it was a revolution....

Kev
February 2, 2005 3:17:17 PM

"Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Fry" <try@skingme.com> wrote in message
> >> Where did the analogue stick originate from?
> > Not Nintendo
> >> Why is it the GC controller is the most accessible & comfortable
> >> controller that exists?
> > I agree, but that's a matter of personal preference.
> >> Who invented rumble?
> > Not Nintendo
> >> Who knocked out the first wireless controller?
> > Not Nintendo
> >
> >> It pisses me off to think all these tossers and twats out there
forget
> >> history and just jump on whoever has the most processing power in
their
> >> console or who has the most sales.
> >
> > They haven't forgotten history, they never knew it. For them,
PlayStation
> > was the first games console.
>
> How true....playstation was the first mainstream console and for some
reason
> people (journalists?) seem to think it was a revolution....

It was.
February 2, 2005 3:22:29 PM

Archived from groups: uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 2 Feb
2005 10:59:10 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.games.video.gamecube, yawatina tan reek esk "Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk>
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

> Who invented the d-pad?

Nintendo claim this, but I have yet to see proof that they did it first.

> Who came up with shoulder buttons?

Not Nintendo.

> Where did the analogue stick originate from?

Not Nintendo, that's for sure.

> Who invented rumble?

Not Nintendo.

> Who knocked out the first wireless controller?

Not Nintendo.

> Who produced the first handheld? (ok, i'm not 100% on this one but I'm
>sure it was the GB)

Not Nintendo by a long way.

> Who has the console that is (pretty much) free from piracy?

The GC may be, the GBA is rife with it.

> Props to MS though for getting online gaming up, what has sony done
>again?? Oh yeah, the EyeToy.......major contribution I must say.

Considering the number of Eyetoys sold, I'd say it was. But Sony didn't
invent that concept either.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk [Gamertag: deKay 01]
|- Gaming Diary - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/

Archived from groups: uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 2 Feb
2005 12:03:30 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.games.video.gamecube, yawatina tan reek esk "Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk>
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>How true....playstation was the first mainstream console and for some reason
>people (journalists?) seem to think it was a revolution....

The Atari 2600 was more mainstream than the Playstation.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk [Gamertag: deKay 01]
|- Gaming Diary - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/
|- Hurry up and go touch it.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 3:45:53 PM

"deKay" <andyk@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote in message
> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 2
> Feb
> 2005 12:03:30 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
> uk.games.video.gamecube, yawatina tan reek esk "Mantorok"
> <none@tiscali.co.uk>
> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>
>>How true....playstation was the first mainstream console and for some
>>reason
>>people (journalists?) seem to think it was a revolution....
>
> The Atari 2600 was more mainstream than the Playstation.

You're saying more people owned a 2600 20 years ago than people own PS
today? Proof?

Kev
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 3:48:10 PM

> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 2
> Feb
> 2005 10:59:10 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
> uk.games.video.gamecube, yawatina tan reek esk "Mantorok"
> <none@tiscali.co.uk>
> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>
>> Who invented the d-pad?
>
> Nintendo claim this, but I have yet to see proof that they did it first.
>
>> Who came up with shoulder buttons?
>
> Not Nintendo.
>
>> Where did the analogue stick originate from?
>
> Not Nintendo, that's for sure.
>
>> Who invented rumble?
>
> Not Nintendo.
>
>> Who knocked out the first wireless controller?
>
> Not Nintendo.
>
>> Who produced the first handheld? (ok, i'm not 100% on this one but I'm
>>sure it was the GB)
>
> Not Nintendo by a long way.
>
>> Who has the console that is (pretty much) free from piracy?
>
> The GC may be, the GBA is rife with it.
>
>> Props to MS though for getting online gaming up, what has sony done
>>again?? Oh yeah, the EyeToy.......major contribution I must say.
>
> Considering the number of Eyetoys sold, I'd say it was. But Sony didn't
> invent that concept either.

Could you please follow up your dead-end response with some explaination?
Who did invent all the above, although it probably doesn't matter, N
successfully brought those things into the VG industry regardless.

Kev
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 3:49:11 PM

Archived from groups: uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

On 2/2/05 12:45 pm, in article ctqi2b$3i1$1@newsfeed.th.ifl.net, "Mantorok"
<none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> "deKay" <andyk@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote in message
>> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 2
>> Feb
>> 2005 12:03:30 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
>> uk.games.video.gamecube, yawatina tan reek esk "Mantorok"
>> <none@tiscali.co.uk>
>> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>>
>>> How true....playstation was the first mainstream console and for some
>>> reason
>>> people (journalists?) seem to think it was a revolution....
>>
>> The Atari 2600 was more mainstream than the Playstation.
>
> You're saying more people owned a 2600 20 years ago than people own PS
> today? Proof?

I think he means the games. There are a higher percentage of games released
on 2600 that are of mainstream interest and accessibility than on PS. Most
of the PS's 10 billion titles are obscure bits of randomness that the
average NFSU player on the street wouldn't even consider. Just about all of
the 2600's games could be picked up and learned in minutes without a manual
by a child.

Zo
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 3:50:26 PM

"Cullen Skink" <news-groups@REMOVETHISTOEMAILntlworld.com> wrote in message
> "Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "Fry" <try@skingme.com> wrote in message
>> > Not Nintendo
>> > I agree, but that's a matter of personal preference.
>> > Not Nintendo
>> > Not Nintendo

> forget
> their
>> >
>> > They haven't forgotten history, they never knew it. For them,
> PlayStation
>> > was the first games console.
>>
>> How true....playstation was the first mainstream console and for some
> reason
>> people (journalists?) seem to think it was a revolution....
>
> It was.

Hardly, the PS was nothing more than a console with good 3rd party support
and exceptional marketing behind it.

Kev
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 4:25:30 PM

> "Cullen Skink" <news-groups@REMOVETHISTOEMAILntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> "Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Fry" <try@skingme.com> wrote in message

>> forget
>> their

>> PlayStation
>>>
>>> How true....playstation was the first mainstream console and for some
>> reason
>>> people (journalists?) seem to think it was a revolution....
>>
>> It was.
>
> Hardly, the PS was nothing more than a console with good 3rd party support and
> exceptional marketing behind it.

It was a revolution in the west as it was the first console marketed at the over
20s rather than at children. By the time it was launched a there were quite a
few over 20s who had grown up with consoles from Atari, Nintendo and Sega but
many more who hadn't. The technology behind the Playstations wasn't
revolutionary but the idea that a console could be played by young adults and
not make them uncool closet D&D fans was.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 4:29:18 PM

> "deKay" <andyk@lofi-gaming.org.uk> wrote in message
>> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 2 Feb
>> 2005 10:59:10 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
>> uk.games.video.gamecube, yawatina tan reek esk "Mantorok"
>> <none@tiscali.co.uk>
>> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>>
>>> Who invented the d-pad?
>>
>> Nintendo claim this, but I have yet to see proof that they did it first.
>>
>>> Who came up with shoulder buttons?
>>
>> Not Nintendo.
>>
>>> Where did the analogue stick originate from?
>>
>> Not Nintendo, that's for sure.
>>
>>> Who invented rumble?
>>
>> Not Nintendo.
>>
>>> Who knocked out the first wireless controller?
>>
>> Not Nintendo.
>>
>>> Who produced the first handheld? (ok, i'm not 100% on this one but I'm
>>>sure it was the GB)
>>
>> Not Nintendo by a long way.
>>
>>> Who has the console that is (pretty much) free from piracy?
>>
>> The GC may be, the GBA is rife with it.
>>
>>> Props to MS though for getting online gaming up, what has sony done
>>>again?? Oh yeah, the EyeToy.......major contribution I must say.
>>
>> Considering the number of Eyetoys sold, I'd say it was. But Sony didn't
>> invent that concept either.
>
> Could you please follow up your dead-end response with some explaination? Who
> did invent all the above, although it probably doesn't matter, N successfully
> brought those things into the VG industry regardless.

Logitech and a few other webcam makers had software to do what the eyetoy dose
several years before the PS2 got it.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 4:33:17 PM

Mantorok wrote:
> "Cullen Skink" <news-groups@REMOVETHISTOEMAILntlworld.com> wrote in
> message news:36bum4F4vmm45U1@individual.net...
>> "Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Fry" <try@skingme.com> wrote in message

>>> How true....playstation was the first mainstream console and for
>>> some reason people (journalists?) seem to think it was a
>>> revolution....
>>
>> It was.
>
> Hardly, the PS was nothing more than a console with good 3rd party
> support and exceptional marketing behind it.

And of course it actually started life as a CD drive for a *Nintendo*
console....!! 'nuff said.
February 2, 2005 5:32:09 PM

Archived from groups: uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 2 Feb
2005 12:48:10 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.games.video.gamecube, yawatina tan reek esk "Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk>
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>Could you please follow up your dead-end response with some explaination?
>Who did invent all the above, although it probably doesn't matter, N
>successfully brought those things into the VG industry regardless.

For what I know, yes:

>>> Who invented the d-pad?
>>
>> Nintendo claim this, but I have yet to see proof that they did it first.

I do not know. I am sure similar control schemes were in use before the Game
and Watch, though.

>>> Who came up with shoulder buttons?
>>
>> Not Nintendo.

I had a Konix joystick in 1985 with shoulder buttons.

>>> Where did the analogue stick originate from?
>>
>> Not Nintendo, that's for sure.

I built an analogue stick for the BBC micro in 1993. I have previously used
them an many machines. IIRC, the Vectrex and Emerson Arcadia had analogue
sticks. PCs had analogue sticks in the early 80s, if not before.

>>> Who invented rumble?
>>
>> Not Nintendo.

Lightguns had rumble long before the N64. There was a rumble controller for
the Atari 2600, I think - made by Amiga of all people, IIRC. Also, arcade
cabinets have had rumble for about 25 years.

>>> Who knocked out the first wireless controller?
>>
>> Not Nintendo.

I have a wireless PC controller from 1997, and had infrared wireless pads for
my Master System.

>>> Who produced the first handheld? (ok, i'm not 100% on this one but I'm
>>>sure it was the GB)
>>
>> Not Nintendo by a long way.

There are many Game and Watch-alikes that pre-date the Game and Watch.

>>> Who has the console that is (pretty much) free from piracy?
>>
>> The GC may be, the GBA is rife with it.

You only have to look at eBay for proof of this.

>>> Props to MS though for getting online gaming up, what has sony done
>>>again?? Oh yeah, the EyeToy.......major contribution I must say.
>>
>> Considering the number of Eyetoys sold, I'd say it was. But Sony didn't
>> invent that concept either.

The sales figures of Eyetoys (and the way it hasn't been dropped by Sony like
every other failed add-on by any other manufacturer has been) speak for
themselves. The Game Boy camera has some "eyetoy" functionality long before
the Eyetoy itself, and almost as long as there have been webcams, there have
been Eyetoy-type games.

Is that enough for you?

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk [Gamertag: deKay 01]
|- Gaming Diary - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/
|- Hurry up and go touch it.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 5:32:22 PM

Mantorok wrote:
> Whenever I read articles, or to be honest, this appears to be most peoples
> opinion, there always appears to be this "oh god its only Nintendo"?

Coz they've got themselves a bad rep. Most of the first Gamecube games
had a more family-oriented vibe compared to the PS2's more mature
titles. Now its always seen as a kids console.

I despair at how many people see a console like a fashion accessory. I
know people who have PS2's not because they like them, so much as the
need them to play the latest games so they can brag to their mates. I
had a 16 year-old trainee with me at work last year, he'd bought Driv3r
because it'd been advertised on the TV and tried to ridicule me when I
said I had no intention of buying it. I figured, well he's a kid, until
my mate (who's 27) did the same thing to me! (who, incidently, had never
played any games until he bought ps1 at 24). This is what its come to!
February 2, 2005 5:34:57 PM

Archived from groups: uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 2 Feb
2005 12:45:53 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.games.video.gamecube, yawatina tan reek esk "Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk>
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

>>>How true....playstation was the first mainstream console and for some
>>>reason
>>>people (journalists?) seem to think it was a revolution....
>>
>> The Atari 2600 was more mainstream than the Playstation.
>
>You're saying more people owned a 2600 20 years ago than people own PS
>today? Proof?

I am not saying that at all.

The Atari 2600 was bought by a wider variety of people than the Playstation.
Therefore, it was more mainstream.

The majority of Playstation owners are gamers, kids, and blokes who like "cool
stuff". Ataris were bought indiscriminately by everyone.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk [Gamertag: deKay 01]
|- Gaming Diary - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/
|- Hurry up and go touch it.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 5:35:11 PM

Mantorok wrote:
> Whenever I read articles, or to be honest, this appears to be most peoples
> opinion, there always appears to be this "oh god its only Nintendo"?

I agree, the media seem to "have it in" for Nintendo, whether that's
because Nintendo don't give away free hardware (you always see
competitions giving away X-Boxes & PS2's), or because the people at the
top don't think they're worth it (Sony & Microsoft are much bigger, and
MUCH more widely known names)

> I would love to ask these people some questions.....
>
> Why is it Nintendo are responsible for the majority of "all time" best
> ever games?

This is true, every (main) Zelda title has been a smash hit, as have at
least 4 Mario (platformer) titles. Edge (an extreemely reputable gaming
magazine in the UK) have only *ever* given 5 10/10 scores; 1 PC game
(Half-Life 2), 1 X-Box/PC game (Halo), 1 cross-platform (Gran Turismo)
and *2* Nintendo titles (Zelda: OoT, and Mario 64)

> Who invented the d-pad?

Nintendo have the d-pad patented, so I would assume they at least
invented the specific one used by the NES/SNES/64/GC/GB/DS, which most
people accept as "perfect". Also, before the NES, I think most consoles
used the digital 8-directional control stick (think Atari 2600)

> Who came up with shoulder buttons?

Don't know. I doubt it was Nintendo, but the first time I used them was
on the SNES, so again I would give credit to Nintendo for getting
shoulder buttons out to the masses.

> Where did the analogue stick originate from?

Again, analog controls have been around for years, but the
thumb-controlled mini-stick was first used by Nintendo on the 64

> Why is it the GC controller is the most accessible & comfortable
> controller that exists?

take off the Z-button, and I'll agree with that one.

> Who invented rumble?

On the console front, I would give this one to Nintendo (Starfox 64 -
1997), but force-feedback (technically called Haptic) has been around
since the 1950's on things like aircraft, and submersibles

> Who knocked out the first wireless controller?

Not *the* first, but the first that worked *reliably*

> Who produced the first handheld? (ok, i'm not 100% on this one but I'm
> sure it was the GB)

The first true handheld game console with interchangeable cartridges was
the Milton Bradley Microvision in 1979, 10 years before the GameBoy. Of
course, in the 1970's there were Game & Watch type handhelds too, but I
don't count them, as you can't change the games.

> Who has the console that is (pretty much) free from piracy?

Personally, I think this is a *bad* thing. Most of my friends have PS2's
& X-Boxes, with only 2 or 3 legal games, the rest (usually big titles
like Halo & GTA) are copies. People buy PS2's because they can get (even
free) games.

> Now come on, where would any other games console maker be today if it
> weren't for some of the wonderful inventions nintendo produced?

This is true, games like Mario 64 really did do wonders for gaming, of
course it would have happened anyway, but when? I have much to thank
Nintendo for.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 6:08:04 PM

"Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:ctqiar$3po$1@newsfeed.th.ifl.net...

> "Cullen Skink" <news-groups@REMOVETHISTOEMAILntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > "Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Fry" <try@skingme.com> wrote in message

> > forget
> > their

> > PlayStation
> >>
> >> How true....playstation was the first mainstream console and for some
> > reason
> >> people (journalists?) seem to think it was a revolution....
> >
> > It was.
>
> Hardly, the PS was nothing more than a console with good 3rd party support
> and exceptional marketing behind it.

There were quite a few groundbreaking games.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 6:10:10 PM

"Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:ctqbq8$te$1@newsfeed.th.ifl.net...
> Whenever I read articles, or to be honest, this appears to be most peoples
> opinion, there always appears to be this "oh god its only Nintendo"?
>
> I would love to ask these people some questions.....
>
> Why is it Nintendo are responsible for the majority of "all time" best
> ever games?
> Who invented the d-pad?
> Who came up with shoulder buttons?
> Where did the analogue stick originate from?
> Why is it the GC controller is the most accessible & comfortable
> controller that exists?
> Who invented rumble?
> Who knocked out the first wireless controller?
> Who produced the first handheld? (ok, i'm not 100% on this one but I'm
> sure it was the GB)
> Who has the console that is (pretty much) free from piracy?
>
> Now come on, where would any other games console maker be today if it
> weren't for some of the wonderful inventions nintendo produced?
>
> I think much, much more respect is due to Nintendo

I think people do respect and recognize Nintendo...they just don't
buy it anymore.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 6:10:11 PM

we-all-love-ebay wrote:
> "menu boy" <ilmobixSPAMIT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> Whenever I read articles, or to be honest, this appears to be most

> >> peoples
> >> opinion, there always appears to be this "oh god its only
Nintendo"?

> >> I would love to ask these people some questions.....
> >>
> >> Why is it Nintendo are responsible for the majority of "all
time"
> >> best
> >> ever games?
> >> Who invented the d-pad?
> >> Who came up with shoulder buttons?
> >> Where did the analogue stick originate from?
> >> Why is it the GC controller is the most accessible &
comfortable
> >> controller that exists?
> >> Who invented rumble?
> >> Who knocked out the first wireless controller?
> >> Who produced the first handheld? (ok, i'm not 100% on this one
but
> >> I'm
> >> sure it was the GB)
> >> Who has the console that is (pretty much) free from piracy?
> >>
> >> Now come on, where would any other games console maker be today if
it
> >> weren't for some of the wonderful inventions nintendo produced?
> >>
> >> I think much, much more respect is due to Nintendo
> >
> > I think people do respect and recognize Nintendo...they just don't
> > buy it anymore.
>
> My feelings on the matter is that when they stuck to cartridges on
the n64
> it was their biggest mistake and they never recovered.

The cartridge situation is always brought up as one of Nintendo's
downfalls but as a gamer I don't see what the big deal was. I loved
the incredibly fast load times and I loved ruggedness of them. Sure,
it didn't have the space to hold lots of FMV but Zelda (and some of the
Rare titles) proved you could put an enormous game on one.

The carts made some games more expensive than their CD counterparts on
the PSX, but on the other hand the resale and trade-in values were
always higher as well, so it balanced out IMO.

I realize in this generation a cart couldn't possibly support the games
we play now but back then, during the 32/64 bit era, I never found the
cartridges to be a hindrance as a gamer.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 8:28:34 PM

Archived from groups: uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

"menu boy" <ilmobixSPAMIT@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Whenever I read articles, or to be honest, this appears to be most
>> peoples
>> opinion, there always appears to be this "oh god its only Nintendo"?
>>
>> I would love to ask these people some questions.....
>>
>> Why is it Nintendo are responsible for the majority of "all time"
>> best
>> ever games?
>> Who invented the d-pad?
>> Who came up with shoulder buttons?
>> Where did the analogue stick originate from?
>> Why is it the GC controller is the most accessible & comfortable
>> controller that exists?
>> Who invented rumble?
>> Who knocked out the first wireless controller?
>> Who produced the first handheld? (ok, i'm not 100% on this one but
>> I'm
>> sure it was the GB)
>> Who has the console that is (pretty much) free from piracy?
>>
>> Now come on, where would any other games console maker be today if it
>> weren't for some of the wonderful inventions nintendo produced?
>>
>> I think much, much more respect is due to Nintendo
>
> I think people do respect and recognize Nintendo...they just don't
> buy it anymore.

My feelings on the matter is that when they stuck to cartridges on the n64
it was their biggest mistake and they never recovered.

Mario 64 is still my all time favourite btw

Nintendo are fooked in the UK at least, they don't have a chance.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 11:44:10 PM

Vitani wrote:
> Mantorok wrote:

> This is true, every (main) Zelda title has been a smash hit, as have at
> least 4 Mario (platformer) titles. Edge (an extreemely reputable gaming
> magazine in the UK) have only *ever* given 5 10/10 scores; 1 PC game
> (Half-Life 2), 1 X-Box/PC game (Halo), 1 cross-platform (Gran Turismo)
> and *2* Nintendo titles (Zelda: OoT, and Mario 64)

Gran Turismo, cross-platform?
Didn't Valkyrie Profile get a 10? Or maybe Vandal Hearts. I'm always
getting those two confused.

-Matt
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 11:56:31 PM

we-all-love-ebay wrote:
> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
> >
> > we-all-love-ebay wrote:
> >> "menu boy" <ilmobixSPAMIT@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Nintendo"?

> > time"
> > comfortable
> > but

> > it

> >> My feelings on the matter is that when they stuck to cartridges on
> > the n64
> >> it was their biggest mistake and they never recovered.
> >
> > The cartridge situation is always brought up as one of Nintendo's
> > downfalls but as a gamer I don't see what the big deal was. I
loved
> > the incredibly fast load times and I loved ruggedness of them.
Sure,
> > it didn't have the space to hold lots of FMV but Zelda (and some of
the
> > Rare titles) proved you could put an enormous game on one.
> >
> > The carts made some games more expensive than their CD counterparts
on
> > the PSX, but on the other hand the resale and trade-in values were
> > always higher as well, so it balanced out IMO.
>
> Utter rubbish, people saw the price of the ps1 games and then looked
at the
> huge price of the games. No fighting games, no racing games - and
Nintendo
> was for kids anyway...

I'm not following ya here. What's utter rubbish? And what do you mean
no racing games? Are you speaking about the N64?
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 12:30:13 AM

Archived from groups: uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

> we-all-love-ebay wrote:
>> "menu boy" <ilmobixSPAMIT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> Nintendo"?

> time"
> comfortable
> but

> it

>> > I think people do respect and recognize Nintendo...they just don't
>> > buy it anymore.
>>
>> My feelings on the matter is that when they stuck to cartridges on
> the n64
>> it was their biggest mistake and they never recovered.
>
> The cartridge situation is always brought up as one of Nintendo's
> downfalls but as a gamer I don't see what the big deal was. I loved
> the incredibly fast load times and I loved ruggedness of them. Sure,
> it didn't have the space to hold lots of FMV but Zelda (and some of the
> Rare titles) proved you could put an enormous game on one.
>
> The carts made some games more expensive than their CD counterparts on
> the PSX, but on the other hand the resale and trade-in values were
> always higher as well, so it balanced out IMO.

Utter rubbish, people saw the price of the ps1 games and then looked at the
huge price of the games. No fighting games, no racing games - and Nintendo
was for kids anyway...

The mass market believe whatever they see in the papers, and they were being
brain-washed into the sony brand.

Nintendo have no chance long-term, which is sad, as its always been my
choice for games. Personally I found the 20 or so great games over the life
of the n64 was better than the entire ps1 back-catalogue, but it seems like
I was alone.

Cheers
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 1:45:02 AM

> Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Wed, 2
> Feb
> 2005 12:48:10 -0000, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
> uk.games.video.gamecube, yawatina tan reek esk "Mantorok"
> <none@tiscali.co.uk>
> fornis do marikano es bono tan el:
>
>>Could you please follow up your dead-end response with some explaination?
>>Who did invent all the above, although it probably doesn't matter, N
>>successfully brought those things into the VG industry regardless.
>
> For what I know, yes:

>>> Nintendo claim this, but I have yet to see proof that they did it first.
>
> I do not know. I am sure similar control schemes were in use before the
> Game
> and Watch, though.

In a sense. The D-Pad was an attempt to replicate the directional joystick
used in arcade games. The pad itself was a Nintendo creation, specificially
Gumpei Yokoi's, but the control scheme was a standard for arcades.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 5:58:19 AM

"we-all-love-ebay" <we-all-love-ebay@we-all-love-ebay.com> wrote in message

> "menu boy" <ilmobixSPAMIT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> Whenever I read articles, or to be honest, this appears to be most
> >> peoples
> >> opinion, there always appears to be this "oh god its only Nintendo"?
> >>
> >> I would love to ask these people some questions.....
> >>
> >> Why is it Nintendo are responsible for the majority of "all time"
> >> best
> >> ever games?
> >> Who invented the d-pad?
> >> Who came up with shoulder buttons?
> >> Where did the analogue stick originate from?
> >> Why is it the GC controller is the most accessible & comfortable
> >> controller that exists?
> >> Who invented rumble?
> >> Who knocked out the first wireless controller?
> >> Who produced the first handheld? (ok, i'm not 100% on this one but
> >> I'm
> >> sure it was the GB)
> >> Who has the console that is (pretty much) free from piracy?
> >>
> >> Now come on, where would any other games console maker be today if it
> >> weren't for some of the wonderful inventions nintendo produced?
> >>
> >> I think much, much more respect is due to Nintendo
> >
> > I think people do respect and recognize Nintendo...they just don't
> > buy it anymore.
>
> My feelings on the matter is that when they stuck to cartridges on the n64
> it was their biggest mistake and they never recovered.

That's pretty much common knowledge at this point. I think they can
recover and probably will.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 5:58:59 AM

Archived from groups: uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

> we-all-love-ebay wrote:
> > "menu boy" <ilmobixSPAMIT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> Nintendo"?

> time"
> comfortable
> but

> it

> > > I think people do respect and recognize Nintendo...they just don't
> > > buy it anymore.
> >
> > My feelings on the matter is that when they stuck to cartridges on
> the n64
> > it was their biggest mistake and they never recovered.
>
> The cartridge situation is always brought up as one of Nintendo's
> downfalls but as a gamer I don't see what the big deal was. I loved
> the incredibly fast load times and I loved ruggedness of them. Sure,
> it didn't have the space to hold lots of FMV but Zelda (and some of the
> Rare titles) proved you could put an enormous game on one.
>
> The carts made some games more expensive than their CD counterparts on
> the PSX, but on the other hand the resale and trade-in values were
> always higher as well, so it balanced out IMO.
>
> I realize in this generation a cart couldn't possibly support the games
> we play now but back then, during the 32/64 bit era, I never found the
> cartridges to be a hindrance as a gamer.

It was more of a cost issue for N at the time.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 7:55:10 AM

Archived from groups: uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

"Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in

> Whenever I read articles, or to be honest, this appears to be most
> peoples opinion, there always appears to be this "oh god its only
> Nintendo"?

Some people like to rag on Nintendo, but to say that it's most people's
opinion is to take the position of a fanboy.

> Why is it Nintendo are responsible for the majority of "all time"
> best
> ever games?

That's in the past, and people like new stuff (GBA remakes of old NES
games excepted).

What console had Halo? What about the KOTOR games? Or Fable? What
company has the new final fantasies? What console has Ico and the MGS
games?

> Who invented the d-pad?

I'm pretty sure not nintendo, probably d-pads were around for
controlling some kinds of real machinery before they were used in video
games.

> Who came up with shoulder buttons?

Probably not nintendo.

> Where did the analogue stick originate from?

Definitely not nintendo. I'm sure that this originated in game pads for
computers before being adopted by nintendo.

> Why is it the GC controller is the most accessible & comfortable
> controller that exists?

Most hardcore gamers think it's at best second to the PSX controller,
and many think it's the worst. I like it, but it definitely takes some
getting used to for many people.

> Who invented rumble?

Definitely not nintendo. "Force-feedback" was around for several years
in the computer gaming industry before it was popularized by the rumble
pack and dual shock in the console market.

> Who knocked out the first wireless controller?

The first popular mass produced one? Nintendo, but they're by no means
the first wireless controller, nor the first for consoles.

> Who produced the first handheld? (ok, i'm not 100% on this one but
> I'm
> sure it was the GB)

Here you have a point, but it was Game and Watch, not GB. It's rather
amazing how well Nintendo has done with the various incarnations of the
GB when piracy of GBA games is rampant. And pokémon, unlike most kiddy
trends which crash and die in only a few years, is still making them
money (not as much as in it's heyday, I'll admit).

> Who has the console that is (pretty much) free from piracy?

As someone else said, the GC is free of piracy, but it's extremely easy
to find GBA roms to download. Hell, one of the best GBA emulators came
out before the GBA was released in the US!

Of course, the DS probably doesn't have that problem, I can see how it
would be very difficult to emulate the touchable screen aspect of that
without running into playability issues (use the mouse to press on the
screen? bleh.)

> I think much, much more respect is due to Nintendo, fair enough they
> are lagging behind other companies but a lot of that is down to 3rd
> party support rather than the geniuses behind other consoles. It
> pisses me off to think all these tossers and twats out there forget
> history and just jump on whoever has the most processing power in
> their console or who has the most sales. Props to MS though for
> getting online gaming up, what has sony done again?? Oh yeah, the
> EyeToy.......major contribution I must say.

Sony isn't that innovative, and they had the worst graphics for
consoles, but they have market share because they were the first in, and
carried over from the last generation. And having market share means
that it's very easy to find third party support for games. Games--
killer apps are what makes a console succeed--not innovations.
Innovations only matter if there are popular games tied in with them.
No other console but sony's has dancing games for instance. Nintendo
has conga drums, but only one of their biggest franchises can actually
draw enough people to make the innovation (or gimmick) worthwhile.

Finally, in the current crop of consoles, online play is the most
important innovation.

I own a GC, and love it for the games, the controller, the cheapness of
it, but I don't have any illusions about why it is unpopular.

--
Corwin
Anonymous

"Nathan Montgomery" <ndontmail@gladstone.uoregon.edu> wrote in message
> > Who produced the first handheld? (ok, i'm not 100% on this one but
> > I'm
> > sure it was the GB)
>
> Here you have a point, but it was Game and Watch, not GB.

No, G&W weren't the first handheld games... there were others preceeding
them including the first, the MB Microvision that had cart based games, a
true handheld precursor.

cNp
February 3, 2005 11:55:30 AM

Archived from groups: uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

"Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> Who has the console that is (pretty much) free from piracy?

As an aside, yesterday I heard of a friend (of a friend) having a pirate
copy of RE4, amongst others....

--
GamerTag: spams
Anonymous

"spammy" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> "Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> > Who has the console that is (pretty much) free from piracy?
> >

> As an aside, yesterday I heard of a friend (of a friend) having a pirate
> copy of RE4, amongst others....
>
> --
> GamerTag: spams

There is a modchip for the GC. Also, there is a exploit for PSO that allows
for games to be copied from the GC with the broadband adaptor. Then you can
store them on the PC and stream them back to play. Also if the modchip is
installed a game can be burned to mini-DVD-R's and they play just like the
originals.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 6:36:58 PM

Matt Clemson wrote:
> Vitani wrote:
>
>> Mantorok wrote:
>

>> This is true, every (main) Zelda title has been a smash hit, as have
>> at least 4 Mario (platformer) titles. Edge (an extreemely reputable
>> gaming magazine in the UK) have only *ever* given 5 10/10 scores; 1 PC
>> game (Half-Life 2), 1 X-Box/PC game (Halo), 1 cross-platform (Gran
>> Turismo) and *2* Nintendo titles (Zelda: OoT, and Mario 64)
>

> Gran Turismo, cross-platform?
> Didn't Valkyrie Profile get a 10? Or maybe Vandal Hearts. I'm always
> getting those two confused.
>
> -Matt

I thought you could get GT for the PC?
Afaik neither of those games got 10 - but I've been wrong before.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 11:46:08 PM

> we-all-love-ebay wrote:
>> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

> most

>> > Nintendo"?

>> > time"
>> > comfortable
> one
>> > but

> if
>> > it

> don't

>> > the n64
>> >
>> > The cartridge situation is always brought up as one of Nintendo's
>> > downfalls but as a gamer I don't see what the big deal was. I
> loved
>> > the incredibly fast load times and I loved ruggedness of them.
> Sure,
>> > it didn't have the space to hold lots of FMV but Zelda (and some of
> the
>> > Rare titles) proved you could put an enormous game on one.
>> >
>> > The carts made some games more expensive than their CD counterparts
> on
>> > the PSX, but on the other hand the resale and trade-in values were
>> > always higher as well, so it balanced out IMO.
>>
>> Utter rubbish, people saw the price of the ps1 games and then looked
> at the
>> huge price of the games. No fighting games, no racing games - and
> Nintendo
>> was for kids anyway...
>
> I'm not following ya here. What's utter rubbish? And what do you mean
> no racing games? Are you speaking about the N64?

try to keep up

yes, in the early n64 days, ie the time when it mattered and could have made
a difference, they had bugger all worth playing in the driving and beat 'em
up genres.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:49:05 AM

Archived from groups: uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

"Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote

> Whenever I read articles, or to be honest, this appears to be most peoples
> opinion, there always appears to be this "oh god its only Nintendo"?

*shrug*

I honestly can't understand why people rag on any system. What exactly do
they get if their console "wins"? Certaintly not competive pricing.

Having all the current generation consoles, I don't even think about the
consoles themselves. The consoles have become transparant. Even when
discussing games with others that also have an XBox/GC/PS2, the topic of the
consoles themselves never come up in conversation except as a side note of
which console they have [x] for. If its an exclusive title to one console,
its automatically given.

Years from now, the XBox/GC/PS2 "debate" will be as laughable as looking
back at the NES/Genesis debate over a decade ago. Looking back at them, I
only think about the games. Just enjoy the games.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 10:13:03 AM

we-all-love-ebay wrote:
> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
> >
> > we-all-love-ebay wrote:
> >> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

> > most

> > one

> > if

> > don't

Nintendo's
> > loved
> > Sure,
> > the

> > on
> >>
> >> Utter rubbish, people saw the price of the ps1 games and then
looked
> > at the
> >> huge price of the games. No fighting games, no racing games - and
> > Nintendo
> >> was for kids anyway...
> >
> > I'm not following ya here. What's utter rubbish? And what do you
mean
> > no racing games? Are you speaking about the N64?
>
> try to keep up

I'm trying, but it's hard to do with incoherant writing.

> yes, in the early n64 days, ie the time when it mattered and could
have made
> a difference, they had bugger all worth playing in the driving and
beat 'em
> up genres.

"They had bugger all worth playing"? WTF?

You know what, never mind. No offense but I have no idea what comment
of mine you're replying to, nor do I understand what point you're
trying to make (if there even is one).
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:02:32 PM

Eras wrote:
> "Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote
>

>>Whenever I read articles, or to be honest, this appears to be most peoples
>>opinion, there always appears to be this "oh god its only Nintendo"?
>

> *shrug*
>
> I honestly can't understand why people rag on any system. What exactly do
> they get if their console "wins"? Certaintly not competive pricing.
>
> Having all the current generation consoles, I don't even think about the
> consoles themselves. The consoles have become transparant. Even when
> discussing games with others that also have an XBox/GC/PS2, the topic of the
> consoles themselves never come up in conversation except as a side note of
> which console they have [x] for. If its an exclusive title to one console,
> its automatically given.
>
> Years from now, the XBox/GC/PS2 "debate" will be as laughable as looking
> back at the NES/Genesis debate over a decade ago. Looking back at them, I
> only think about the games. Just enjoy the games.

Here-here, "back in the day" I was an avid Nintendo fan, detested the
Mega Drive/Genesis. But now I play Sonic on my g/f's Mega Drive because
it's a fun game to play. Admittedly she plays Mario on my snes too, but
she doesn't even know why Sega & Nintendo (in the world of consoles) are
any different to Panassonic and Sony (in the dvd-player world).

Stupid, really, how bitter hatered can be at times.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:57:18 PM

Archived from groups: uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

"Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Whenever I read articles, or to be honest, this appears to be most peoples
> opinion, there always appears to be this "oh god its only Nintendo"?
>
> I would love to ask these people some questions.....
>
> Why is it Nintendo are responsible for the majority of "all time" best
> ever games?

They aren't

> Who invented the d-pad?

Mattel

> Who came up with shoulder buttons?

I've always hated shoulder buttons.

> Where did the analogue stick originate from?

Apple

> Why is it the GC controller is the most accessible & comfortable
> controller that exists?

It isn't

> Who invented rumble?

Harley Davidson

> Who knocked out the first wireless controller?

Atari

> Who produced the first handheld? (ok, i'm not 100% on this one but I'm
> sure it was the GB)

Milton Bradley

> Who has the console that is (pretty much) free from piracy?

Nobody
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 5:06:00 PM

Donald Richter <GrGoblin@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> "Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Where did the analogue stick originate from?
>
> Apple

Bollocks.

My BBC Micro had an analogue joystick.

Choobs

--
Sir Chewbury Gubbins
Knight of the Wholly Gnarly Widget

Archived from groups: uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

> Why is it the GC controller is the most accessible & comfortable

Not for 2D games. I'd rather play the PS2 controller for 2D games.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 11:03:21 PM

Archived from groups: uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

> I'm trying, but it's hard to do with incoherant writing.
>
>> yes, in the early n64 days, ie the time when it mattered and could
> have made
>> a difference, they had bugger all worth playing in the driving and
> beat 'em
>> up genres.
>
> "They had bugger all worth playing"? WTF?

So come on then, I would love to know what driving or beat em up games were
worth playing on the n64 in the early years.

There weren't any - are you still struggling to keep up - or are you just
thick?
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 12:26:27 PM

"Sir Chewbury Gubbins" <chewbury.gubbins@nelefa.org> wrote in message
> Donald Richter <GrGoblin@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> > "Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > Where did the analogue stick originate from?
> >
> > Apple
>
> Bollocks.
>
> My BBC Micro had an analogue joystick.

But did that come before the Apple II?
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 12:54:38 PM

"gdfgf" <fgdfg@sdfdsf.net> writes:
>> Why is it the GC controller is the most accessible & comfortable
>
> Not for 2D games. I'd rather play the PS2 controller for 2D games.

Why?

-Miles
--
Run away! Run away!
Anonymous

Archived from groups: uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

Donald Richter <GrGoblin@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> "Sir Chewbury Gubbins" <chewbury.gubbins@nelefa.org> wrote in message
> > Donald Richter <GrGoblin@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> > > Apple
> >
> > Bollocks.
> >
> > My BBC Micro had an analogue joystick.
> >

> But did that come before the Apple II?

No it didn't - I forgot the ][ had an analogue stick - that'd have been
late seventies. What about Battlezone in the arcade? Was it analogue?

Choobs
--
Sir Chewbury Gubbins
Knight of the Wholly Gnarly Widget
http://www.nelefa.org
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 10:04:15 PM

Archived from groups: uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 12:17:17 -0000, "Cullen Skink"
<news-groups@REMOVETHISTOEMAILntlworld.com> thought hard and said:

>"Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "Fry" <try@skingme.com> wrote in message
>> > Not Nintendo
>> > I agree, but that's a matter of personal preference.
>> > Not Nintendo
>> > Not Nintendo

>forget
>their
>> >
>> > They haven't forgotten history, they never knew it. For them,
>PlayStation
>> > was the first games console.
>>
>> How true....playstation was the first mainstream console and for some
>reason
>> people (journalists?) seem to think it was a revolution....
>
>It was.

Hardly. What makes you think it was?

--
-Daniel "Mr. Brevity" Kolle; 16 A.A. #2035
Koji Kondo, Yo-Yo Ma, Gustav Mahler, Krzysztof Penderecki, and Geirr Tveitt are my Gods.

Archived from groups: uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:08:04 GMT, "menu boy"
<ilmobixSPAMIT@hotmail.com> thought hard and said:

>"Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:ctqiar$3po$1@newsfeed.th.ifl.net...
>>
>> "Cullen Skink" <news-groups@REMOVETHISTOEMAILntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> > "Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

>> > forget
>> > their

>> > PlayStation

>> > reason
>> >
>> > It was.
>>
>> Hardly, the PS was nothing more than a console with good 3rd party support
>> and exceptional marketing behind it.
>
>There were quite a few groundbreaking games.

Every console has a few ground breaking games.

--
-Daniel "Mr. Brevity" Kolle; 16 A.A. #2035
Koji Kondo, Yo-Yo Ma, Gustav Mahler, Krzysztof Penderecki, and Geirr Tveitt are my Gods.
Head of EAC Denial Department and Madly Insane Scientist.
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 10:07:14 PM

Archived from groups: uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:22:29 +0000, deKay <andyk@lofi-gaming.org.uk>
thought hard and said:

>> Who has the console that is (pretty much) free from piracy?
>
>The GC may be,

Of course it is! Just ask David Pope.

www.davidpopesworld.com

--
-Daniel "Mr. Brevity" Kolle; 16 A.A. #2035
Koji Kondo, Yo-Yo Ma, Gustav Mahler, Krzysztof Penderecki, and Geirr Tveitt are my Gods.
Head of EAC Denial Department and Madly Insane Scientist.
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 10:09:11 PM

Archived from groups: uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

On 2 Feb 2005 11:24:25 -0800, "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com>
thought hard and said:

>we-all-love-ebay wrote:
>> "menu boy" <ilmobixSPAMIT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

>Nintendo"?

>time"
>comfortable
>but

>it

>> > I think people do respect and recognize Nintendo...they just don't
>> > buy it anymore.
>>
>> My feelings on the matter is that when they stuck to cartridges on
>the n64
>> it was their biggest mistake and they never recovered.
>
>The cartridge situation is always brought up as one of Nintendo's
>downfalls but as a gamer I don't see what the big deal was. I loved
>the incredibly fast load times and I loved ruggedness of them. Sure,
>it didn't have the space to hold lots of FMV but Zelda (and some of the
>Rare titles) proved you could put an enormous game on one.
>
>The carts made some games more expensive than their CD counterparts on
>the PSX, but on the other hand the resale and trade-in values were
>always higher as well, so it balanced out IMO.
>
>I realize in this generation a cart couldn't possibly support the games
>we play now but back then, during the 32/64 bit era, I never found the
>cartridges to be a hindrance as a gamer.

I found CD-Roms to be an annoying medium to play on, myself.

--
-Daniel "Mr. Brevity" Kolle; 16 A.A. #2035
Koji Kondo, Yo-Yo Ma, Gustav Mahler, Krzysztof Penderecki, and Geirr Tveitt are my Gods.
Head of EAC Denial Department and Madly Insane Scientist.
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 10:11:11 PM

Archived from groups: uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube (More info?)

On 4 Feb 2005 07:13:03 -0800, "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com>
thought hard and said:

>"They had bugger all worth playing"? WTF?

Some form of English-English, I assume. It means they had nothing
worth playing.

>You know what, never mind. No offense but I have no idea what comment
>of mine you're replying to, nor do I understand what point you're
>trying to make (if there even is one).

--
-Daniel "Mr. Brevity" Kolle; 16 A.A. #2035
Koji Kondo, Yo-Yo Ma, Gustav Mahler, Krzysztof Penderecki, and Geirr Tveitt are my Gods.
Head of EAC Denial Department and Madly Insane Scientist.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 6:54:11 AM

"Daniel Kolle" <Daniel.Kolle@gmail.com> wrote in message news:q9ra01pj0hdkakm33b9kknvu74699ebnhb@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:08:04 GMT, "menu boy"
> <ilmobixSPAMIT@hotmail.com> thought hard and said:
>

> >"Mantorok" <none@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:ctqiar$3po$1@newsfeed.th.ifl.net...
> >>
> >> "Cullen Skink" <news-groups@REMOVETHISTOEMAILntlworld.com> wrote in message

> >> Hardly, the PS was nothing more than a console with good 3rd party support
> >> and exceptional marketing behind it.
> >
> >There were quite a few groundbreaking games.
>
> Every console has a few ground breaking games.

Except the Jaguar.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 12:41:17 PM

"cNp" <cparsonsukspam@aol.com> wrote in message

> "Nathan Montgomery" <ndontmail@gladstone.uoregon.edu> wrote in message
> > > Who produced the first handheld? (ok, i'm not 100% on this one but
> > > I'm
> > > sure it was the GB)
> >
> > Here you have a point, but it was Game and Watch, not GB.
>
> No, G&W weren't the first handheld games... there were others preceeding
> them including the first, the MB Microvision that had cart based games, a
> true handheld precursor.

The first handheld game was Mattel Electronic Football (remember LEDs?)
The first programmable handheld game was Milton Bradley's MicroVision.
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest
!