Ultra cheap $450 gaming rig - critiques and praise wanted

Alright. Im currently looking to build my first gaming computer. Usually I wait for a big title to come out and then I set out to conquer it (usually neglecting sleep and food until iv'e done so) and then wait a few months for another big title release and give it the same treatment. So Im really only a moderate gamer (a few games a year) meaning I dont need this build to be anything special. Iv'e spent a considerable amount of time researching hardware and looking for deals (combos, promos and rebates) on newegg and this is what iv'e come up with:

-GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - $60 - (after deals) = $50

Combo 1- Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm + cheap asus dvd drive - $60 - (after deals) = $53

Combo 2- XFX HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 + 8 (2x4) gigs patriot gamer 2 ram (1333)- $250 - (after deals) = $177

Combo 3- rosewill challenger gaming case + rosewill 600w psu - $105 - (after deals) = $95

Combo 4- Phenom II x3 720 BE Heka 2.8GHz OEM + Corsair A70 cpu cooler - $116 - (after deals) = $90

Total cost = $590
After combos, promos, rebates - starting newegg proffered account (-$15) - Free shipping with shoprunner = $450
Total Savings = $140

I plan to do some overclocking on the 720 since I'll have that excellent cooler and though newegg does not advertise it the board has core unlocking capabilities so I might be able to unlock the 4th core. And, no, im not interested in a SLI/Crossfire set-up. I'll just buy a beefier graphics card when I do my bulldozer upgrade. So what do you think of this $450 build?
7 answers Last reply
More about ultra cheap gaming critiques praise wanted
  1. Not to bad, but the PSU needs to go. Any other combos?
  2. whats wrong with the psu? It has better reviews than most at that price range and seems to be pretty solid.
  3. "Seems" solid isn't the same as is solid. If that makes sense.

Rosewills have had a history of exploding power supplies, now not all of them. But a lot of them. I wouldn't trust that PSU with that system. Course that's just me. You can try it if you like.
  4. TBH I don't know what PSU is in there. If you can tell me or even provide a link to it I would have a better idea. I based my wording on the formula Rosewill + comes with case = crap.
  5. Where do you find all these bundles 0.o
  6. drop the case and power supply combo and get a different psu with the same price by dropping the 6870 to a 5850 or a 460.
  7. make sure you read the fine print on those preferred accounts. Almost did bill-me-later and after reading into it, decided it was a bad idea.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems Product