Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 BSOD

R4IDER

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
Hi,

I built my system myself during February of this year and on Saturday I received my first BSOD while playing a game. Naturally I went through the logs and found that the cause of the crash was to do with the ntoskrnl.exe (Error Code: nt+0x7f1c0), anyway from my research it seemed that the problem was due to driver failures and having not made any major changes to my drivers other than updating my graphics driver back in July I was confused on what had caused the problem, so thinking it was a one off I opened my game and within a few minutes I received the BSOD with the same error so I re-installed windows and formatted my drive.

After installing windows I downloaded and installed all of the windows updates and at the time I was verifying the integrity of a game on Steam and I got BSOD again, checked the logs and it was the same problem as before. So my next thought was to update my hard drive firmware along with the latest drivers for everything I did that and then started up a game within 10 minutes I got BSOD again with the same error.

Next I decided to update my BIOS but before I did that I reset my BIOS to it's default settings IE no overclocking and saved those, I installed the latest version of the BIOS and everything went through smoothly started up windows again and I carried on doing what I was doing and all was good I played a game for around 2 hours and there were no crashes.

Today, I opened up another game and within a few minutes I got BSOD again, but this time my Corsair Force 3 SSD disappeared and I was unable to boot into windows, I looked in the BIOS and it wasn't there either.

I installed windows on one of my backup drives and got back into windows and my setup is that I have 1 SSD with windows and one or two games installed on it and then I have 2 1TB hard drives for everything else but for some reason only one drive was detected by windows and the other one had vanished. I went back into the BIOS looked at the settings and everything was normal and I couldn't see any reason why windows would not be showing my drive, one test I did that I thought was odd was when choosing the boot drive it would always load windows even though I had disabled the one that had windows on it.

My next idea was to open up the case and make sure all of the connectors were in correctly which they were so I figured that I would switch the SSD SATA cable from the 6gbps port to the 3gbps port did that booted up went into the BIOS and my SSD was back in the list, booted up back into windows and all three drives are back like they were I've had a game running for about 45 minutes so far without issue.

Here is my system information

Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Intel i7-2700k
16GB Corsair Vengeance
Asus GeForce GTX 580
Corsair Force 3 128GB SSD

I clean my system regularly and I have dust filters so everything is mostly dust free but I haven't ruled out overheating yet.

Since I have now plugged my SSD into the 3gbps port I am pretty sure that this isn't going to make much if any difference in terms of performance but just to check I have taken a screenshot of a benchmark ran while connected to the SATA 2 controller.

corsair_force3_120GB.png

If anyone has any information or knows anything I could do to fix this issue please let me know and finally I was thinking of upgrading to the 680 mainly because sleeping dogs on max settings only gives me 30fps and while this most likely is due to bad optimization I like to think I can power my way through those problems with raw power, I would also like to know what kind of FPS the GTX 680 is capable of in The Witcher 2 with max settings and ubersampling switched on because currently with my 580 it gets a little choppy in certain areas.

Thanks for reading my wall of text.

R4IDER

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
Edit doesn't seem to be working so here is some information I forgot to add.

I have disabled the Marvell controller via the BIOS and I don't use them and I had two mechanical drives plus one blue-ray drive plugged into the Intel 3Gb/s ports and finally I had the SSD plugged into one of the Intel 6Gb/s ports but this has now been moved to the final 3Gb/s port.