Motherboard problem

jcar514

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
I have a Gateway laptop that is about 4-5 years old that simply will not boot up. No POST or beeps, just a black screen and LEDs. I figured the easiest thing to test would be the RAM. So I began taking the RAM out of slot 2 and left in the RAM in slot 1. The computer booted, what a sigh of relief. I thought it must be bad RAM so to be sure I switched up both sticks placing each one by themselves in each slot. Finding out both sticks actually worked, it was the 2nd SODIMM slot that was not working. I could live with just one stick of RAM to save up for another laptop. I left the laptop alone and came back to it the next day. I used the one of the two sticks of RAM in the only working slot and booted up the laptop. Nothing came up again. I also tested both stick of RAM in a working laptop so I know that these stick absolutely are fine.

The question is would you guys think that the other SODIMM slot fried on the motherboard or would this be a totally different problem than the motherboard?

Fan spins, optical drive comes on, and the hard drive works as well.

Hopefully you guys agree with me when I say I believe that the motherboard is done with. If it is, anyone know what excellent laptop part vendors. As far as I can see, Newegg and Tigerdirect deal mostly with desktop parts.

Did u replaced the CMOS battery in laptop?

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4928571_replacing-cmos-battery-laptops.html

cmos-battery-under-top-cover-560x420.jpg

jcar514

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/96/cmoss.jpg/

The only thing that looks like the CMOS battery would be the item located by my arrow in the black casing connecting to the motherboard by pin. If that is the CMOS then yes, Idid reset it and still nothing.

Nope, did not replace the CMOS.

cmoss.jpg
[/URL][/img]

jcar514

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
Where would I buy something like this and how would I go about buying something like this? I have never had to replace CMOS battery and not sure if I have to know any specifics to get another one.

jcar514

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
A small lithium battery (‘CMOS’ battery) in some computers maintains basic configuration information (such as the
time and date). In the event that the battery fails to maintain this information, we recommend that you contact a
qualified technician who may replace this battery.
Battery Precautions and Disposal
✓ Batteries contain a mix of chemicals that should be treated with care. Before disposing of the battery, put
adhesive tape over the terminals. Do not disassemble the battery.
✓ Do not place used batteries in your regular waste. Ultimate disposal of the batteries should be handled
according to all national laws and regulations. Contact your local waste management officials for information
regarding environmentally sound collection, recycling and disposal of batteries.
✓ There is a danger of explosion if the battery is incorrectly replaced. Replace only with the same or equivalent
type recommended by the manufacturer.

jcar514

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
Alright, had the CMOS battery checked and it is low, but not low enough to keep the computer from booting up. So either its the SODIMM or video card. Because both SODIMM and the video card are onboard the motherboard is bad.