Need to upgrade my RAM (newbie)

amherst_wind

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of doing a total overhaul of a PC I got a good few years ago, first was the graphics card (which I got thanks to a lot of help from the kind people here), next up is the RAM as the system only has 2GB right now (2x 1GB). So I'm going to ditch them and just go straight for 4GB of RAM, does anyone have any suggestions as to what to go for? I'm not sure what information regarding my system would be necessary to figure out what RAM I need but if someone could tell me then I'd find out and post it, here is what CPU-Z says about my current RAM if that helps. Thanks in advance!

s2Kax.jpg

amherst_wind

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
I've never used newegg, I got the graphics card from amazon uk. As for budget, I don't have much, maybe £30-40 maximum? I'm not looking or anything super fantastic, just an upgrade to my current system as its terribly outdated.

You want documented ram compatibility. If you should ever have a problem, you want supported ram.
Otherwise, you risk a finger pointing battle between the ram and motherboard support sites, claiming "not my problem".
One place to check is your motherboards web site.
Look for the ram QVL list. It lists all of the ram kits that have been tested with that particular motherboard.
Sometimes the QVL list is not updated after the motherboard is released.
For more current info, go to a ram vendor's web site and access their ram selection configurator.
Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of compatible ram kits.
While today's motherboards are more tolerant of different ram, it makes sense to buy ram that is known to work and is supported.

Past that, most ram vendors offer good quality products.
Buy based primarily on price, not speed.