Sign in with
Your question

LOOKING FOR CASE SUGGESTIONS

Last response: in Components
November 17, 2011 3:57:23 PM

Okay, so I am not a newb but I am relatively new to the building PC area. My first build was extremely successful last year and since then I have grown so much. But still, I have only built this one PC so my experience with cases (and really only cases) is not the greatest.

With the build I put together about a year and a half ago, I used the COSMOS PURE case. Here is the set up:

Intel i7 930
EVGA X58 LE SLI Motherboard
EVGA GeForce 570GTX
Corsair Dominator 1066 DDR3 6gb
Corsair 850W PSU Modular
Corsair Force Series 3 SSD 120GB
Corsair Force Series 3 SSD 60GB
WD Black Caviar 1TB HDD
NZXT LXE Fan Controller
ICEY DOCK 4 2.5 SSD Hot Swap Drive Bay

And with the new case I am probably going to purchase the Corsair H100.

Now here is why I am looking for a new case. I ALWAYS felt that the cosmos pure was a BEAUTIFUL case. Not only quiet as hell, but the blacked out design is SO sleek. The buttons light blue and looks fantastic. But since day one it has been a NIGHTMARE cable managing. I feel like the placement of the holes is not only weird, but when you run wires through a majority of the holes, it has to pass over a beam that holds the teeth which grasp onto the door enclosure! It is so weird, so it becomes impossible to close the other side. Also, by having to bring the wires through two of the front holes, it creates such a thick clutter of wires and it makes it tough to close the door as well. Not only that, but the door is warped. So closing it is impossible at this point. Also, the design of how the door closes is so lackluster. Even if there are no cables there, you have to push it to close because the way the teeth grab the holes on the door, is like a hairline. It is very hard to explain, but what makes it worse is the noise reducing foam on the door. So, if you have ANY wires, the foam on the door sticks out a little so its like if you have wires anywhere you are screwed.

Now, it wouldn't be a big deal (even though it should be) but since I have been adding components it is making it more difficult.

Besides, my build is for gaming. So I think it is time to get a case that will give me better airflow and will suffice for my overall cooling needs. At the same time, I want it to be quiet and ideal for cable management. I can't stand another case that has poor construction.

Sorry for the wall of text but I hope someone can help me. Here, in a nut shell is what I am looking for:

Full or Mid
Quiet
Good Airflow
Good For Cable Management

I am between the Antec 1200, DF-85 and Cooler Master HAF-X. I know the best case is that $600 one, but I do not want to spend that much. Although, my budget is flexible.

Please do not limit your suggestions to the above mentioned.

Thank you for your anticipated assistance.

More about : case suggestions

a c 275 ) Power supply
November 17, 2011 4:37:38 PM

Well i start by saying the Antec 1200 is a well known quiet gaming case.
I have a 902 which is pretty much the same thing,just smaller,and i can assure you it's quiet.
Antec Twelve Hundred 1200 V3
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59514&vpn=TWELVE%20HUN...
Other well known quiet cases.
Silverstone RV02B-EW Raven 2
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=56972&vpn=RV02B%2DEW&m...
Fractal Design Define XL
http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=2&...
November 17, 2011 4:57:46 PM

davcon said:
Well i start by saying the Antec 1200 is a well known quiet gaming case.
I have a 902 which is pretty much the same thing,just smaller,and i can assure you it's quiet.
Antec Twelve Hundred 1200 V3
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59514&vpn=TWELVE%20HUN...
Other well known quiet cases.
Silverstone RV02B-EW Raven 2
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=56972&vpn=RV02B%2DEW&m...
Fractal Design Define XL
http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=2&...

Yeah, I am leaning towards the 1200. How is it for cable management though? Also, is the DF-85 an updated version of the 1200? Or is it in a league of it's own?
Related resources
a c 275 ) Power supply
November 17, 2011 5:23:03 PM

JayDubs said:
Yeah, I am leaning towards the 1200. How is it for cable management though? Also, is the DF-85 an updated version of the 1200? Or is it in a league of it's own?

The 902 and 1200 are fine for cable management imo.
3 cut-outs in my 902 for cables.
Even better if you have a semi-modular psu.
The DF is a different series Dark Fleet to be exact.
It has improved filter access over the 902/1200.
The 902/1200 are built like tanks = very little plastic.
DF's use alot of plastic.
November 17, 2011 5:44:50 PM

davcon said:
The 902 and 1200 are fine for cable management imo.
3 cut-outs in my 902 for cables.
Even better if you have a semi-modular psu.
The DF is a different series Dark Fleet to be exact.
It has improved filter access over the 902/1200.
The 902/1200 are built like tanks = very little plastic.
DF's use alot of plastic.

Great replies. But yeah, like I stated in the OP--I have a completely modular PSU.

Hmm, I am stuck between the 1200 and the DF-85.

I think I can safely drop the HAF-X off the list. I just watched a review that said the cutout for the back of the processor is off. I also hear the positioning of some cable management features could have been better.

When it comes to airflow and gaming, it is safe to say that the 1200 and DF-85 are pretty much the top of the line? Or is there another full/mid case you didn't mention that is another competitor?
November 17, 2011 6:11:14 PM

I recently built a new system and opted to go with the Corsair Graphite 600T. I can't rave enough about it. A larger than normal space behind the motherboard tray for cabling and plenty of options for cable runs. It's also blacked out inside and looks sleek. I was able to fit everything I needed and it still looks empty inside. While it's classified a mid-tower, in my mind it is a full tower. I'd recommend at least taking a serious look at it.
a c 275 ) Power supply
November 17, 2011 6:24:50 PM

JayDubs said:
Great replies. But yeah, like I stated in the OP--I have a completely modular PSU.

Hmm, I am stuck between the 1200 and the DF-85.

I think I can safely drop the HAF-X off the list. I just watched a review that said the cutout for the back of the processor is off. I also hear the positioning of some cable management features could have been better.

When it comes to airflow and gaming, it is safe to say that the 1200 and DF-85 are pretty much the top of the line? Or is there another full/mid case you didn't mention that is another competitor?

The 600T dervish2 recommended is a very nice case although i've read complaints about fan noise.
Maybe he can eloborate more on his take regarding his personal experience.
I'd take a close look at the Silverstone Ravens (1/2/3 models).
The Raven 2 i linked has exceptional noise and cooling characteristics,a very unique reverse mobo mounting,and unmatched cable management.
The DF's do nothing for me i prefer the 1200 but that's a personal opinion
!