Problem disabling dual-boot...

superhands

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Hi guys,

So I was running my computer with 2 HDDs, XP installed on the C: drive and Windows 7 installed on the E: drive.
I've pretty much stopped using Windows 7 and removed the Drive that it was installed on - the main reason being that I'm an avid gamer and on most games I notice that I can get an extra 15-20 FPS more on XP than I can on Windows 7.

Anyway the problem I'm having is, having removed the Windows 7 Drive, I'm stil getting the dual-boot screen on startup, and I have to select XP for boot. I've tried the usual editing of the boot.ini etc, there is no trace of Windows 7 in it, I've set XP to my default OS - yet I'm still getting the dual-boot screen. I tried setting the timeout to 0 but the screen still comes up and takes 18 seconds to timeout before it tries to boot Windows 7, even though XP is the default. I'm not a stranger to computer systems at all, but I'm baffled by this.
Any help appreciated.

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
You might be able to find the answer buried somewhere in the windows online support files, but I think a faster solution would be to back up any data you want to keep o your XP installation, then do a full reformatting, not a quick one in the windows install process. This should get rid of all traces of the modified boot loader that is on your current XP drive and let you start over fresh. Starting with a fresh install of XP may even give you a few more extra FPS in games in itself even if it has been a while since your last complete refresh of XP.