Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Intel Bluescreen issue: 0xEA & igxprd32

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 16, 2011 5:56:09 PM

I am having an issue with a Toshiba netbook (the NB200) that has the Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family.

No matter which driver I use, from the initial one released in 2006 to the latest one released last year, I get a BSOD with the driver that focuses on the igxprd32.exe file. Essentially, this is what I get:

Quote:
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: igxprd32

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart the computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

The device driver got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.

Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x000000EA (0x862618F0, 0x862151A8, 0xF7A00CBC, 0x00000001)

igxprd32
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.


This issue occurs no matter what version of driver I use, or whether I use Windows XP or Windows 7.

In addition, the client for whom I am doing a rebuild also had another identical unit (unit “#2”) rebuilt an the same time (same NB200 model name, but with a slightly different part number, because #2 used XP whereas #1 used Win7). When I swapped hard drives, the Windows install from #2 bluescreened when run from #1, whereas the one #1 did not (when placed in the #2 unit). No new drivers were needed for either machine, indicating that both did indeed have identical hardware.

This indicates to me that there is indeed a hardware issue related to this machine, and that the driver itself is not at fault. This is supported by the fact that I have re-installed windows any number of times with different driver versions (straight from Intel as well as straight from Toshiba), and have had this problem each and every time.

The only time that the drivers ever work is if I throw the colour depth right down to 8-bit. Then, and only then, can the driver function an the hardware’s default resolution of 1024×600. Any attempt to increase the colour level above 8-bit causes another bluescreen. The reverse also holds true -- if I keep the colour depth at 32-bit, the only resolution that avoids a bluescreen is 640×480. Any attempt to move to a higher resolution (such as 800×600 or 1024×600) causes an instant bluescreen.

I have also turned off (in the Troubleshooting tab of the Advanced section of Display Settings) hardware acceleration and write combining, to no effect (or to be more precise, absolutely no change in bluescreening behaviour).


I am looking for some help. I am hoping to find a graphics diagnostic tool which which I can determine if this Intel video card is truly pooched or not. failing that, I am looking for suggestions on how to bypass or override this “infinite loop” problem. The client only needs to do email and internet on this netbook, so therefore fancy functions are not needed (although a screen at 1024×600 at 32-bit colour depth IS needed).

Any other constructive help is greatly appreciated.
a b U Graphics card
June 17, 2011 8:54:25 AM

It's usually either bad drivers or a faulty component. Looking at what some other people did, it's a case of sending it back to Toshiba to fix.
June 17, 2011 9:08:54 AM

Griffolion said:
It's usually either bad drivers or a faulty component. Looking at what some other people did, it's a case of sending it back to Toshiba to fix.


Unfortunately, the client just informed me this evening that the unit I am working on was purchased nearly two years ago… without an extended warranty. So unfortunately, a return to Toshiba may cost more than a straight-over replacement.

Besides, my impression that this is a hardware issue is becoming stronger and stronger. This bluescreen issue is completely independent of driver version, and completely independent of Windows version (I even tried Windows 2000 on a lark!). Each and every combo of Windows version (from 2000 up to Win7) and Driver version (from the 2006 Intel release to the 2010 Intel release, and the Toshiba release) causes a bluescreen. The entire 4×5 matrix causes bluescreens, with no exceptions whatsoever.
a b U Graphics card
June 17, 2011 10:10:33 AM

That's unfortunate. From what i gathered in my Googling of the error, 95% ended up in an RMA to the manufacturer. The other 5% saw a miraculous restoration from a BIOS update, driver update or whatever.

To be honest, i'd advise the client it may be time for a new one.
!