Sign in with
Your question

Unlocking the fourth core in the Athlon II X3 455

Last response: in CPUs
November 17, 2011 4:20:30 PM

Hey all.

I've been doing some research the past few days about the hidden 4th core in the Athlon II X3 455 and I wanted to ask directly.
I want to test this and see how well it runs and how much of a performance gain I get, but I'm aware of some of the risks about it, specifically defective cores.

I have currently a stock cooler, 560W power supply and Athlon II X3 455 (triple-core processor), I'm willing to do this, but I'm worried about permanent damage, I've heard you can simply relock the core to fix issues, is this true? I'd really like if someone could help me out, it's very tempting to try this.
a b à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
November 17, 2011 4:42:14 PM

the easiest way to unlock a core is in the ACC utility in your BIOS options (your mobo needs to support ACC in order to unlock). You have two options

1. set cores to "auto". the mobo will use all the cores it deems working, you can then check windows task manager (or any other program you want) to see if all four cores are running.

2. set cores to "all". the mobo will boot up with all four cores (good or bad). Then run some intensive programs (like games or cinibench) that will stress the CPU. If the PC hangs you know you have a bad core (or if it even fails to launch win7) and can simply go back into the BIOS and reset the ACC setting with no harm.

you can always play around with the CPU voltage setting to help unlock a core but that can cause some issues if you are not careful.
a c 141 à CPUs
a b ) Power supply
November 17, 2011 8:42:37 PM

X2.
My 445 unlocked but was not 100% stable, even with cpu voltage boost, so It went back to stock settings and has been running fine for nearly a year.
!