Advantages of dual channel?

Hey all, I'm new to these forums and I have a question. My friend will soon be upgrading from 4gb (2x2) of memory to 8gb (2x4) I currently have 4gb (2x2) in dual channel and he is kindly offering me his old 4gb kit. What I am wondering is, will my computer support having 8gb in the form of 4x2, and how much of a performance loss would it be to having dual channel 8gb? (If any, I'm unsure exactly what dual channel really means). Thanks!

Matt

P.S - Specs you might need to know:

RAM: 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600Mhz (Corsair XMS3 1.5v)
MB: MSI P67A GD53
CPU: i5 2500k
7 answers Last reply
More about advantages dual channel
  1. you will see a great difference in going from 4GBs to 8GBs; the windows swap file won't be used, depending on what you had been doing, and increase the speed overall.
  2. Thanks for the reply. Just wondering though, would it matter that it is 4 x 2gb instead of 2 x 4gb?
  3. a 4x2gb can be "stressful" (both for the mobo and you :lol: ) when trying to overclock it.
  4. I don't think I'll be overclocking the RAM really. Would it affect overclocking the CPU much though? I'm currently running @ 4.5 Ghz. Would I need to change anything?
  5. 4x2GB will also run in dual channel. That is two pairs of sticks running in dual channel.
  6. Ah, I didn't realise thanks. I'm guessing that would mean there wouldn't be any difference with 2 x 4GB then.
  7. MrBlu3 said:
    I don't think I'll be overclocking the RAM really. Would it affect overclocking the CPU much though? I'm currently running @ 4.5 Ghz. Would I need to change anything?

no. you'll be fine.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Dual Channel