Motherboard Advice Needed, Advice Greatly Appreciated

NoobPCBuilder_18

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Hi,

I recently built a gaming system (first one for a number of years), and I am now in the process of adding a second video card to run in SLI. However, after reading various posts in the forums it has come to my attention that sufficient cooling in SLI would require space to be left free between the 2 video cards for airflow. This is where my problem is, I have a motherboard which only supports 2 video cards, and they are really quite close together so I cannot leave any space to allow the video cards to cool, and I cannot afford to stretch my budget for a water cooling system.

My Current System is:

Case: Coolermaster Haf X 942
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68-UD3P
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600k 3.40GHz (Sandybridge - 1155) - Overclocked to 4.40GHz
Processor Cooler: Corsair H60
Memory: 16Gb Ballistix DDR3 PC3 - 12800
Graphics: Zotac GeForce GTX 580 (1536Mb)
SSD: Corsair 120Gb Force GT Series 3
HDD: Western Digital 1Tb SATA 6Gb/s (7200rpm)
PSU: Cooler Master 1000Watt

I have been looking at a number of motherboards, but after reading a number of reviews and opinions I am left unsure as to which board would suit my needs so that I have a good gap to allow for good airflow between my Graphics Cards.

The 2 boards i have been looking at are as follows:

Asus p8z77-v pro & Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H

Which of these cards would meet my needs, and if neither do then what motherboard would people recommend?

All advice and help is greatly appreciated, Thanks

arzbhatia

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2012
It really doesn't matter much. Cards sticking to each other is an issue, at all. The guys at NCIX Tech Tips (YouTube) run their SLI card so close together that you can even put a blade in between them.

But still if you're looking to buy a motherboard and you have those two choices, go for the Asus P8Z77 V-Pro. It's a great board :) (Both are great actually, but go for the Asus)

NoobPCBuilder_18

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Clutchc that link is the same board yes. You say your running 2 570's on that board, could you possibly post an image of your setup to show justhow much space is in between the cards? If you could that would be great.

Thanks

Arzbhatia, thanks for the link to the NCIX Youtube page, I see what you mean by the space they leave between their cards. Also, cheers for recommending the Asus P8Z77-V Pro board, seems a good choice.

Thanks

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

There is the space of an unused slot between cards...
i52500kandgtx570sli1.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

arzbhatia

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2012
No problem bro. Have fun! :)