Computer continually reboots with GTX 550 Ti & is connected to HDTV

agemery

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Hello,

I just got an EVGA GTX 550 Ti, and installed it in my new computer build. When it is connected to a standard monitor via DVI out, everything appears fine. However, when connected to my HDTV (my intended primary monitor) the computer will power on for about one minute, and reboot, and repeat. I do not see the BIOS screen on this configuration, however the HDTV does detect an input. When I disconnect the HDTV and connect it to the standard monitor, wait until windows is loaded, and then disconnect the standard monitor and replace the HDTV, video is displayed and everything seems fine - that is, until I try to power on with the video card connected with the HDTV, in which case it just reboots, as described above. It should be noted that no problems with either display occurred prior to the installation of the video card. I've already tried disconnecting all other devices - no joy there either. So what the heck is going on here? If it might help, the box the video card came in was all banged up, and some of the pins on the back of the circuit board had even punctured the bag it came in.

Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated!

------
-Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
-Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
-GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
-OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply
-ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
-Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B - OEM
-2x Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
-Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model 996770
-EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Well first off, did you inspect the card closely for any damage? Bent pins, caps, broken connections etc.

Secondly, did you reinstall the Nvidia drivers? When changing GPU you should always completely uninstall and then run Driver Sweeper to get rid of old drivers, then install the newest ones.

agemery

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Yes, I had this issue before and after installing drivers from the Nvidia website. I could not see many of the caps because of the plastic bezel on the face of the card, but all I could see looked fine. I tried the driver sweeper, but I didn't see anything other than nvidia drivers.

By the way, I've done some testing on the vid card with the standard monitor (playing games, etc) and everything seems fine... is it possible that it is the TV?

eightdrunkengods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
I was thinking that maybe the TV is sending an unexpected signal back to the computer during boot. Do you have some TV specific feature enabled on your TV(like Bravia sync or something)?

Some TV's have only one HDMI port that will accept PC input. Maybe figure out if this is true for your TV?

Do you have a spare HDD that you could do a clean Windows install on and try it? This could confirm or rule out a driver issue.

agemery

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Thank you for the suggestions... I will look through the manual for anything like that. I don't think it is a driver issue... even with hard drives unplugged I cannot get a display on the TV.

agemery

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
thanks for all your replies. Unfortunately, none were to any avail; I was not able to find a manual for the TV, so I was not able to confirm that it was a TV issue, nor do I believe it to be a driver issue. Ultimately, I ended purchasing a different, smaller, TV, on which the graphics card works fine.