Sign in with
Your question

PSU help/info

Last response: in Components
November 17, 2011 6:51:23 PM

hello, Last year I did something stupid. I was on a budget and I was at bestbuy during a sale. I picked myself up a Asus computer. I was looking to use it for a gaming machine so I also bought a ATI 5770hd. Now realizing at the time that the stock PSU wasn't going to be able to handle the card. I didn't have enough money to buy a decent PSU online. So I used my bestbuy card and bought the most affordable PSU. Which at the time was a Rocketfish gaming 600w peak, 500w continuous PSU. I realize now it was a stupid mistake.

Anyway. Now I'm upgrading my CPU to a Phenom 2 x4 965. Will this PSU do the trick? or am I not giving my PC enough power?

I never had any problems with my current x2 220 regor 2.8ghz cpu and my GPU with this PSU. Atleast none that I can tell.

Any information would be nice. I'm looking to buy this CPU tonight.

More about : psu info

a b ) Power supply
November 17, 2011 7:05:52 PM

There are worse PSUs than the best buy brand ones.

I quickly browsed to a trusted review site and they managed to get about 500w out of a 550 without it shutting down on them or worse blowing up.

That being said, you are rolling the dice if you do this.

The x2 220 regor pulls like 30 - 65w, the x4 965 is more like a straight 125w. Add to that the fact that your PSU is a year old so probably giving 10% less than its day 1 wattage and you may just not be able to turn your PC on after you do this upgrade.

I would wait until you can afford to buy a good PSU at the same time as your new CPU.

The video card isn't that bad, btw, less bad than the new processor will be.

With the 125w processor and a 100w graphics card, you may really be able to get by though with all the hard drives and everything else included.

I don't trust the rocketfish, but it may just be up to the task for another year or two.
m
l
November 17, 2011 7:28:07 PM

What PSU would you recommend for this set up? I have 1 Sata Drive the dvd-r also hooked up. I'm looking to buy a decent cheaper PSU. I would have like an extra $80 or so to spend.
m
l
Related resources
November 17, 2011 7:36:09 PM

Corsair
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 17, 2011 7:55:35 PM

You'll be fine.
100w Motherbd, 125w CPU, 100w GPU, 20w drives <= 350w

BUT

I beleive you are limited to 95w processors on your system. Please research before you purchase.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 17, 2011 8:02:50 PM

What motherboard are you using? I don't see it listed anywhere.

For $80, you can probably find an XFX Core 650w that will deliver 300w - 350w at optimal efficiency (~50% load).
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 17, 2011 8:47:45 PM

I am pretty sure that there will be no problems with 125w processors in that board from the other thread.
m
l
!