Sign in with
Your question

HELP ME PLEASE!! unleashed amd phenom II x2

Last response: in CPUs
November 17, 2011 7:01:14 PM

OK so I got an AMD phenom II x2 and unlocked it to 4 core operation but when windows starts the desktop is covered in pixilated lines especially round the icons. if I drop it back to 3 cores it works ok and only 1 icon has the pixilation. It is much worse in windows 7 & than xp I was wondering is this definitely a broken core because with the 4 cores everything works ok can run wprime and overclock fine its just the display that is messed up

More about : unleashed amd phenom

November 17, 2011 9:19:00 PM

Well you are forcing a Chip which is sold as a two core fore a reason.

IMO if it works at 3 and not at 4 nothing you do will make it work properly at 4 cores because it is damaged or in some way deficient and that is why it isn't sold as a 4 core.
November 17, 2011 9:20:57 PM

bobusboy said:
Well you are forcing a Chip which is sold as a two core fore a reason.

IMO if it works at 3 and not at 4 nothing you do will make it work properly at 4 cores because it is damaged or in some way deficient and that is why it isn't sold as a 4 core.

Agreed, just because there is a chance on unlocking a 2 core phenom to a 4 core, there are no guarantees, and it looks like you got one that is legitimately a 2 core... Just the luck of the draw.
Related resources
November 18, 2011 1:16:54 PM

Yeah I thought so it was a gamble just thought it was strange ACC recognised it as a working core and it ran OK wprime with no faults and didnt crash or anything just that display glitch. Never mind I might try not to be a cheap ass and get a proper 4 core.
November 18, 2011 9:13:38 PM

There are some good deals on the 960T or 955... both are solid, 960T has been having a very high success rate of unlocking to a 6 core... and if not you still have a quad. Well after your luck on this last unlock attempt, maybe you dont want to try again haha but best of luck!
November 19, 2011 8:59:14 PM

you win some you lose some hey and failure has never put me off otherwise I would just sit in a dark room had problems even trying to upgrade the memory NOOB!!!. Not sure my mother board can run a six core they dont show up on the compatability list but Im going to order a native 4 core phenom and if I can get a better mother board at a later stage I might get lucky. Recently crossed over from the darkside of console gaming after sony ripped me off with the old PS3 so am new to all this
November 19, 2011 11:25:37 PM

So it gets stranger updated the BIOS to try and sort the problem I was having with a memory upgrade and the issue is a lot better still not usable 4th core but I cant see how a update can even improve a core ???????????????
!