Video playback/editing

mosesaro

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Hello,
I use adobe premiere for video editing have a core 2 duo processor 4gb of ram and a ati hd video card that is 58 dollars. Now the thing is that when I work with HD video watch or watch it doesn't playback smooth in VLC and in premiere I have to render it every time to see something.When I check performance my CPU goes to 100% use. What should I upgrade CPU motherboard and memory or a video card budget 700

Wamphryi

Distinguished
The problem is your CPU. When I had a Core 2 Duo I couldn't render properly at MPEG 2 level let alone HD. I sorted the problem by going to a Quad. For rendering in HD I recommend the i7 Lynnfield as the minimum. 4 GB RAM is ample and a GPU really adds little to the situation. As I said the problem is your CPU bottle necking. Quad Core is what is required. A Core 2 Quad should see you right but it will take a lot of time. i7 Lynnfield or i5 Sandybridge would be more ideal.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
No don't worry about the Video Card it is not playing a major role in your video editing. Some programs claim to use the GPU but then you will find it does so for one Video Effect that you probably wouldn't use anyway. It is the CPU that matters and you need a Core 2 Quad at the very very least. An i5 Sandy Bridge would be awesome, an i7 Lynnfield more than suitable.
Make sure you get 4 GB RAM and that you have a reasonably fast HDD and you will be fine.