TIVO like service via web to your hard drive?

G

Hello,
Yesterday I almost bought a TIVO digital recorder(description of how it works is below) for my TV. I was wondering since computers are doing more of the home entertainment(TV/DVD) stuff, when would someone design a TIVO like system/software that utilized the hardware(computer,hard drive, internet connection, Video/TV card) already existing in your house. Tivo charges $9.95 for their progamming service. Seems like someone could make quite a penny by designing a web-based solution. Does anyone know of one in existence now or in development stages?
Thanks,
Malcolm
PS. If you take this idea and start a company doing just that.....please at least ask for my resume:) I may want to join you.

If you are not familiar with the product/service, it digitally records TV programs on a hard drive. The product is connected via telephone to get electronic updates on your preferences for your recording. Knowing these preferences, the system will automatically record programs based on those preferences.

G

Your talking about the AIW Radeon card. Provides same functions and more than TIVO, plus provides digital out, which Tivo doesn't. You get a Tivo-like webguide service free.

Caveat: Very complex, new board that doesn't work with all MB/chipset combos, espceially Via/Athlon.

Dave

G

Programs like CineMaster DVR and PowerVCR II will do the same thing the TiVo does (you also need a video capture/TV Tuner card in your system). Time shifting capabilities and all (although you can't just click on a show and have it record it... it's more like a VCR in its recording aspect).

G

Check out www.showshifter.com you still need a video card with a tv tuner