Sign in with
Your question

Sleep issues

Last response: in Networking
October 10, 2010 2:36:55 PM

I recently built a new system and sleep mode doesn't seem to be working properly. It seems to enter sleep mode but it will wake up unexpectedly and apparently stay awake. I come in the morning and there's the monitor up with the logon panel. Powercfg tells me that the network adapter is what is waking it up. It's a Windows 7 system. Any ideas why the network would be waking it up? Windows update? And why wouldn't it go back to sleep after it wakes up?

More about : sleep issues

October 11, 2010 2:47:48 AM

You might have WOL (Wake On LAN) enabled in the BIOS. Also check the network adapter's driver, specifically under Properties->Advanced. There might some other "wake on" options enabled as well.
m
l
October 11, 2010 3:42:15 AM

demisod said:
I recently built a new system and sleep mode doesn't seem to be working properly. It seems to enter sleep mode but it will wake up unexpectedly and apparently stay awake. I come in the morning and there's the monitor up with the logon panel. Powercfg tells me that the network adapter is what is waking it up. It's a Windows 7 system. Any ideas why the network would be waking it up? Windows update? And why wouldn't it go back to sleep after it wakes up?

Setting to S3 mode only and enabling some option around posting VGA memory on sleep\resume seems to have helped. Try changing USB settings, sleep timers in power options.
Check and reset power options:
1. From >Start< select >Control Panel<
2. Change Control panel view to >Large icons<
3. Select >Power Options<
4. Next adjust the Windows 7 Power Plan settings; select >Balanced (recommended)< followed by clicking on >Change plan settings<
5. Configure the settings for both >On battery< and >Plugged in< to your own preferences by selecting your time intervals from the drop down menus. After you are done, click the >Change advanced power settings< tab.
6. Next – adjust all settings according to your preferences and click on >Ok<
7. Select >Save changes< and restart the computer.
Should your sleep mode still not be fully operational, then simply try resetting your Power Options to default.
1. Go to >Start< then select >Control Panel<
2. Click the >Power Options< icon.
3. Next, select >Change plan settings< under the >Balanced< option
4. Click the >Restore default settings for this plan< link, then select >Yes< when the power options prompt window pops up.
5. Exit out of the Control Panel.
6. Restart your computer.
Due to the fact that Sleep mode issues may actually be attributed to a compatibility issues with your hardware, it is advised to update your Windows 7 regularly.
Simply follow these easy steps to updating Windows:
1. Select >Start< then >Control Panel<
2. Click the >Windows Update< icon.
3. Make sure your computer is up to date and configure the rest of your Windows 7 update settings.
m
l
!