Will this power supply run my hardware and the graphics card I want?

cherubidude

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Hey there forum!

I'm looking to upgrade my computer, and I found this graphics card- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948
-then found I needed a new power supply to run it. The graphics card itself recommends 500w for it, so a friend recommended I use 650w for a power supply. I'm not loaded and I'm trying to spend a maximum of 50-60 dollars.

I went searching and found this power supply (not too expensive, great reviews)- http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=606321&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=10&body=REVIEWS#tabs

I have an Intel DH67BL H67-Express Motherboard,
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @3.10GHz,
and 8 gigs of DDR3.

Should the power supply I located power my existing hardware as well as the graphics card I found?

Thanks ahead of time!

Solution

For a system running with a single Radeon HD 6870 graphics card the power supply unit should have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and with at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

The Corsair Builder Series CX600V2, that you've linked to, has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 40 Amps and has two 6+2-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors. Its OEM is CWT (i.e. Channel Well Technology). The Builder Series is Corsair's value line with only a 3 Year warranty.

The following PSU would be my choice, it's a...
The VisionTek 650 Watt (900347) is an utter pile of cr@p.

It's made (i.e. OEM) by Leadman/Zhao Li known for using an old double forward group regulated topology design with extremely poor integration, corner cutting and knockoff/cheap components.

You'd be lucky to get 450 Watts out of it before it starts to run outside of spec.

The Customer Reviews you see for that power supply on the TigerDirect.com site are entered by those that don't have a clue what they're buying.

In your budget range look at the Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W for $54.99.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371030

cherubidude

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Haha, I see. Thanks for the further assistance. Thankfully, I hadn't bought it yet. However, the recommendations for the GPU I want to buy suggest 500w just for it's own use. I don't think a 520w power supply will cut it to cover everything else, do you?

Are there any decent 650w power supplies that cost 60 dollars or less? If I have to, I can spend a bit more, but I'd much rather not if it can be avoided.

Although I find patience is a virtue, I can't wait for new deals this time, I need these parts quite soon.

Thanks for your continued assistance!

For a system running with a single Radeon HD 6870 graphics card the power supply unit should have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and with at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

The Corsair Builder Series CX600V2, that you've linked to, has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 40 Amps and has two 6+2-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors. Its OEM is CWT (i.e. Channel Well Technology). The Builder Series is Corsair's value line with only a 3 Year warranty.

The following PSU would be my choice, it's a considerably better PSU than the Corsair Builder Series CX600V2. It has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 53 Amps and has two 6-pin and two 6+2-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors. Its OEM is Seasonic. It has gotten very good reviews by several reputable power supply review sites. Its 5 Year warranty attests to its expected reliability.

XFX 650W Core Edition (P1-650S-NLB9)
Price:
$89.99
Less Rebate: -$30.00
Final Price: $59.99

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=125450&CatId=5432

Solution
I use an XFX Core 650 and I would second ko888s suggestion to get one of those. I didn't recommend it because the up front cost is $90 with 1/3 of it coming back in a rebate instead of a straight $60 up front cost, but if that is an acceptable arrangement then go for it.