Can the OCZ 600W stealthxstream 2 run a GTX580?

The OCZ StealthXStream 2 Series OCZ600SXS2 power supply unit claims a combined +12 Volt rail continuous current rating of 50 Amps. Hardware Secrets test review seems to confirm this during their Overload Tests where they were able to draw a maximum of 52 Amps from the combined +12 Volt rails.

It will have no problem powering your system with a single Palit 3GB GeForce GTX 580 graphics card.

Are you getting it replaced under warranty?

alextheawesome

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009

No, I'm not going to put my computer and home at risk of a fire again (yes, there was fire and smoke). So, I got a Corsair unit.

^so your one of those people who will not touch a product from 1 bad experience. i tell you this, im sure there are corsair units that have gone up in puffs of smoke too..... and do you even know the cause? it could have been a power spike, build up of dust, dirty power going in.........get the idea? If there was a major fault with these units they would recall them.

alextheawesome

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009

Other people on Newegg have stated that they had the same thing happen with the PSU. With mine the fan failed so it overheated. And I'm sure Corsair units have blown up too, but I haven't seen it all that much, or they are usually just DOA. Anyways, this is going off topic. Yes, the OP can run a GTX 580 with that power supply, but I'm just stating what recently happened with mine from the same family.

Warp Burger

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011

Thank you sir, just what I wanted to know :)

Warp Burger

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I may aswell give it a try, Im planning on using it in SLI in a new build anyway :) I can always buy a new supply if it comes to it.

alarsurna

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011

Just to be a messerschmit - 4x18 is 72 but since 600w is the max, you can get no more than 50A of 12v.