Sign in with
Your question
Solved

RoG Maximus V Gene or P8Z77V Pro?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 20, 2012 12:16:36 PM

Hey, can't decide between these two mobos, price is not an issue but I'm just not sure which one will suit my needs better. I'll be using the mobo in a new rig built almost exclusively for gaming (single gpu), and plan to overclock my i5 3570k. I'd also like the best possible integrated audio, as I plan to buy a nice set of headphones, and want the best sound possible. Thanks!
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 20, 2012 12:45:53 PM

Well I'm not a fanboy of mATX MOBO's unless it's for a LAN PC or you really need a small form factor PC. Based upon your stated requirements and needs the ASUS Maximus V GENE is the better option of the two you listed.

I'd look also at the ASUS Maximus V Formula or if sound quality is a huge concern the ASUS Maximus V Formula/ThunderFX.
m
l
Related resources
August 21, 2012 7:10:37 AM

bigcyco1 said:
If you want the very best it's going to cost you lol http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Damn, that's an awesome motherboard but I'd rather spend the money on a larger capacity SSD!
I've decided against the Maximus V Gene, as I realised it only has two 6 GB/s SATA ports. Now it's as toss-up between the Maximus V Formula and P8Z77V Pro Thunderbolt. How useful is Thunderbolt? Does the extra speed come in handy often?
m
l
Anonymous
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2012 8:12:46 AM

meh, just get the PRO. the MVF looks nice but the PCI_E slots are more than you need plus x8,x4,x4 in tri sli if you get that crazy; doesn't seem useful.

if you look for daisy chain monitors or very high speed external drive, then get the thunderbolt.

just my opinion
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 21, 2012 1:31:32 PM

KaiserFrederick said:
How useful is Thunderbolt? Does the extra speed come in handy often?

Thunderbolt is relatively new and certainly new to the PC realm, it makes cable management very clean and in particular it's bandwidth to external devices. So if you haven't had or plan to have many NEW external devices then the technology won't add much if any usefulness. IF you plan on purchasing a new Monitor and/or external array then it's a good option.

Thunderbolt is a good idea however the costs for both the cabling (especially video) and device interface need to come down to make it viable vs faddish. I've noticed some of the display cables coming down in price which is a good sign.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 87 V Motherboard
August 21, 2012 8:28:28 PM

KaiserFrederick said:
Damn, that's an awesome motherboard but I'd rather spend the money on a larger capacity SSD!
I've decided against the Maximus V Gene, as I realised it only has two 6 GB/s SATA ports. Now it's as toss-up between the Maximus V Formula and P8Z77V Pro Thunderbolt. How useful is Thunderbolt? Does the extra speed come in handy often?
It's pretty much as jaquith mentioned ;) 

m
l

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 87 V Motherboard
August 21, 2012 8:29:15 PM

This one here is a top notch mobo that doesn't cost a arm and a leg mobo:ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
August 22, 2012 8:08:53 AM

bigcyco1 said:
This one here is a top notch mobo that doesn't cost a arm and a leg mobo:ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I think this will be the option I go with, after comparing the features of this mobo to the RoG ones it seems like there's not much difference, at least not enough to justify the extra $100 imo.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 87 V Motherboard
August 24, 2012 7:43:29 PM

good choice
m
l
Anonymous
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
August 24, 2012 10:29:33 PM

+1
m
l
August 25, 2012 7:27:14 AM

Best answer selected by KaiserFrederick.
m
l
!