Please help! not sure what i need!

zestytaco

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: 3-4 weeks

Budget Range: ~1000 Before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: redundancy for my pics/home moives and important files, back ups, web hosting, streaming media

Parts Not Required: i need pretty much everything

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, tiger direct,

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences: by brand or type i would like to use intel for the cpu and brand names for the other components.

Overclocking: no

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: hope to have it run headless and remote in when i need to via my desktop

Additional Comments: i am not sure what components/programs will fit my needs but what i would like to have

a system that has a hdd/ssd for the OS

then a raid 5 for all my back ups, important files,

i would like to host a few web pages from this system also

if its possible i would like to run a website that my family/friends could go to and login with an acct name and PW and be able to upload pictures and select some or all of the pics they have to share with everyone else or selected people within a group.

example. family goes on a vacation and there are 5 diff people taking pictures, then when everyone gets home they can upload them to my system and share the pics they took. that way everyone could login and download the pics they wanted even if they didnt take any.

id also like it to be secure enough that no one could see my important files. only the files put up for sharing.

sorry if this isnt that clear, i have a hard time putting my thoughts into text that make sense to other people lol, if any clarification is needed just ask and ill try to re-explain it lol

thank for all the advice and help.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
So, basically you want to create a file (backup of your important personal files) and internet (share images with family) server? I am assuming that your family members don't all live under one roof and you want them to be able to upload, share, and download their pics over the internet. Or were they going to connect to the PC at your house to do this?

zestytaco

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
no they dont live under the same roof lol. so i was hoping they could connect to the comp via a web page and upload them to the hdd and share via the web site via some GUI that is easy for everyone to use.

thanks for the response!!

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006

There are many sites on the net that provide hosting services. I have no idea how you would add your own server to the net. Either way, you would need to write the GUI that would perform the photo sharing, unless you could find one on the net somewhere.

There are sites on the net dedicated to photo sharing. I would use one of them. Photobucket is one I have hard of. Doesn't Facebook offer something like this too?

zestytaco

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
ok so lets scratch the pic sharing idea, if i wanted to host a few web pages and have a system with a redundency and that would also be backed up to an external HDD ion case of corruption of HDD failure, how much cpu power/ect would i need? being able to expand later on down the road. thanks again for the help

9_breaker

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
i dont know much about servers but heres a good server build
cpu
Intel Core i3-530
mobo
Zotac H55ITX-A-E
psu
Seasonic SS-460FL Fanless 460W
case
Lian-Li PC-Q08B Black, Aluminum HTPC Case, no PSU, 2xUSB3