IBM vs Maxtor

G

Ok so im trying to decide which hardrive to get.
Everyone I know is telling me to buy an IBM Deskstar ata 100 30gb, however the maxtor's are WAY cheaper in my area (calgary canada) for the same amount of space and speed. Does anyone know if Maxtor's drives compare to the ibm's?

Thnx

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The Maxtors are definitely rated below the IBMs for me.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://zidane222.cjb.net" target="_new">http://zidane222.cjb.net</A></b>

Lucol

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The IBM's are definite performance champs, but the Maxtor's aren't chumps either. We recently got a 30Gb Maxtor ATA100, and to be honest, I'm not at all dissatisfied with the purchase, especially considering the $$$.

G

I like both drives.. right now im using a maxtor just because of price... but i would say the IBM is better overall too... its just like comparing a duron to athlon they're both fast it just depends on how much you want to spend

G

THnx for the info guys...im prolly gonna go with the maxtor for now, for the simple fact that the exta coin that im going to save is going to get me an asus v7700 GeForce2 video card instead of a v7100 GeForce2 MX. I figure I can pick up 2 IBM's later on for my Abit KT7 Raid and still be able to use the extra maxtor drive for something.

G

I think you made the right descision. The IBM's are faster, but not as fast as your videocard is going now!

G

IBM is better, however most people can live with a Maxtor (probably not on this forum though). :)

Jarablue

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Personaly my Maxtor is louder then any hard drive I ever heard and it annoying as hell when I load up an app for the first time sounds like 2 cars crashing inside my computer. Yes I defrag and scandisk EVERY day and I have heard from alot of my friends that Maxtors blow. But they do have a good pricetag. Go with your choice but IBM's are better by far. 'personal opinion'

In the immortal word's of Bob Marley, "Let's get together and feel alllright..."

Raistlin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I dont know about your maxtors but mine arent any louder than WD or fujitsu, and i heard somewhere on here that ibm's are among the loudest? can someone else remember where that was? maybe in mb forum somewhere?

Bored,Certified Tech.

BTW quantum Bigfoot are trash almost everything else is useable/decent

guess what most compaqs came with back in the pentium era ;)

G

Maybe you HD has a problem, because it's the first time I hear such a problem from a Maxtor. Ho, and btw how old is your HD?

Jarablue

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Can't believe I am hearing this about Maxtors. From what I have gathered, even on this site for the 2 years I have been hear is that maxtors suck. 3 of my friends have them and mine is about 3 months old. Thiers is all loud and mine is too. [-peep-] even the ones at work (some) are maxtors and they are loud. I have owned 4 of these drives and bought them cause they are cheap but all the drives I had were semi quiet till the first defrag then it was all downhill from there. I have it on the ATA66 with latest drivers for my abit and bios. I know it isn't a problem with my system it is the drives.

In the immortal word's of Bob Marley, "Let's get together and feel alllright..."

G

My Maxtor DiamondMax 27 7200 RPM is very quiet.

However, though it works great most of the time, if I try to play a large move file from the Maxtor, the computer will sometimes crash. Likewise, if I try to write a CDR off it, it will sometimes crash halfway through. I have tried different IDE cables, and switching it from Primary to Secondary IDE controller, but the situation is still there. I'm not absolutely sure it is the Maxtor rather than the motherboard, but I'm not thrilled by this experience and probably won't buy another Maxtor.

TRENDING THREADS