HP Pavilion a1323w no boot after re-doing thermal paste.

Gman91

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
So, i noticed the computer running a little warm. I decided to pull of the heatsink and re-do the thermal paste with some cheap stuff from radioshack. I re-did this a few times because it seemed to heat up and the cpu fan would speed up. When i went to plug it in the last time the power cord seemed to shift a little bit and the computer turned off. Now when i try booting up the pc the front light comes on for a split second and shuts off. All fans are working and i can hear the HD initially boot up. I trade pulling out all pci cards, pulling out the memory (when i did and booted the PC there was no beeps?) unplugging cd drive and unplugging the hard drive. Last but not least i took off the heat sink turned the computer on and held my finger on the processor till it got hot. What could my problem be? what else would you advise. I'm no computer genius but have built over 20 computers and never had this problem.

Gman91

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
I had this cheap stuff laying around from when I re-flew xbox 360 consoles. I've used it on many computers and it has worked great. I honestly think it is the motherboard. I have tried a good known working PSU in the tower this morning and it was still giving me the same symptoms. As for the last comment, When it was on the computer was on it's side so i could see the fans boot up, put it right side up and that is when the power cable seemed to unplug a little bit. All other cables (ps2 mouse/keyboard and VGA cable were plugged in properly, Just the power cable seemed to be plugged in incorrect).

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Have you reseated the Processor? checked the pins to make sure none are bent... mobo may have got fried(don't see why though)....

you said "Now when i try booting up the pc the front light comes on for a split second and shuts off" and then you said "Last but not least i took off the heat sink turned the computer on and held my finger on the processor till it got hot"......

i dont understand... is the PC turning on then immediately back off? because if it is how can you hold your finger on the processor til it gets hot....?

Gman91

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
I just tested all the parts, cpu, ram and HDD in my other spare tower. Everything checks out and works. It has to be the motherboard. The computer stays on (fans are running and i can hear the HDD initially boot up) but the front power light does not stay on, it flashes and goes away (computer is still running). I honestly think its the motherboard. There are no pins on the CPU its a p4 socket 775. The monitor does not turn on either, this is what i mean by the computer doesn't boot. It literally doesn't boot. Nothing happens.

So you moved the computer and worked on it while it was on. Then you took off your heatsink and ran the computer with no heatsink. Then you touched the CPU...wow so many mistakes.

First you should always turn off your computer when working on it or moving it around a room. Secondly you should NEVER run a CPU without out a fan and heatsink. Today's processors CSM be damaged in as little as 10 to 15 seconds without a heatsink and fan. Lastly you should never touch the top of the CPU with your bare fingers. Oil from your fingers can contaminate the surface of the CPU causing heat problems. I have to wonder if you damaged your CPU when you ran it without a fan and heatsink.

I just wanted to say that I move around computers that are on all the time and I haven't noticed any computers getting damaged by this ever. I tilt computers and lay them on their side without turning them off and never any damage, the same for standing them back upright from either of those positions.

I have half my PSU wires routed outside the case hanging off in the air and I can move those all around while it is on and nothing happens too.

Mind you I wouldn't advise other people to do what I do, but I never heard of anyone blowing a hard drive, PSU, motherboard, or anything else by laying a computer gently on its side when it is already on.

I have even done really stupid things like unplugging SATA or MOLEX power cables while the power cable is still in between the wall and the computer. I really try not to do that but once in a while if I slip up it never damages any of the parts for whatever computer I am working on. Again, I wouldn't advise anyone to ever forget to do that, though.

As long as you don't pull out cords while the computer is actually booted up you should be fine.

I highly doubt that the OP broke anything by moving the computer around.

I wouldn't advise anyone to turn a computer on with no heat sink and fan attached either, but if the OP turned the PC off within 10 sec (preferably within 5), then there is probably no damage to it. He should be able to get the oil from his fingers off with a cleaning solution and it should work just fine.

TBH, it doesn't sound like a motherboard issue to me. It sounds like a PSU issue.

Every single time I have ever seen a computer turn off and not turn back on it was because of a faulty PSU. The dozens of times I have seen computers turn off and it wouldn't go back on it was fixed right away with a new PSU.

I would suggest that the OP try a different PSU in the computer that doesn't work. One that is good enough quality to power the system, obviously, once he gets his finger oil off the CPU.

Gman91

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Ok so problem, When i hit the power button, the CPU fan, case fan and HDD start up. The front Power button light and HD light initally blink but don't stay on. Nothing happens on the monitor. No loading screen, splash screen nothing. Thing i have done to try and pinpoint the porblem. I have pulled the ram and turned the computer on (no beeps), Switched the ram into the other slot, still nothing. Unplugged everything except for the HD and CPU fan, still nothing. I pulled the processor, ram and HD and tried them in a spare tower and everything checks out. I did do a CPU test (where i put my finger on it) and it got hot so. I haven't tried pulling the motherboard battery and resetting it, last time i tried this on a computer it screwed it up bad. I was told with these HP desktops the card reader craps out and causes the computer to not boot so i pulled those and tried booting, still nothing. My Diagnostic? the MB is fried.

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
agreed Gman... faulty motherboard... if you get no RAM beeps while it on without any ram in it... it ain't a power supply issue. sorry for your loss...

and Raiddinn.... moving a PC while it is running is not good and can definitely damage a Hard Drive... I have moved my pc while its running and never harmed it(as far as I know), but that doesnt mean its ok to do so.....

Moving a PC while its on... It isn't advised, but unless you throw it you shouldn't really have any problems.

I open my car door and look out of it when I am backing up and I wouldn't really advise anyone to do that either.

That whole do as I say not as I do thing. You know how it is.

I also drive 10 over pretty much everywhere and I wouldn't advise anyone to do that either.

There are plenty of things one can and ideally shouldn't do, moving an on PC around is one of them.

99% of the time nothing will happen if you move a PC around when it is on, the other 1% of the time you may break something and have to buy a new one. Once you accept that, you can move PCs around when they are on all you want.