Can I mix this? And How to seat on mobo

ash92x

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2012
Hi all, i'm currently upgrading my PC to play the upcoming GW2 on max settings with all the eye candy enabled (1080p)

Currently have a AMD Phenom 2 x6 1050t,
4GB RAM, (2x2)
HD 7850 Gigabyte
750w Powercool psu (bad brand i know!)
Mobo is a Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3

I'm basically wondering that instead of swapping my current 2x2gb sticks of RAM for some completely new 2x4gb of RAM, could I mix my new ram together with current RAM, without hindering the new ram to give me a total of 12GB?

So i've downloaded CPU z on my desktop, here are printscreens of the memory and spd pages.
currentramcpuz.png

Judging by that, and then this ram i've ordered, is there any reason why they shouldn't work together to give me a total of 12gb?

Also still curious if there is any particular way I need to seat the sticks in order to get max performance. (for example do I sit the 2x4gb sticks in the first two slots and the 2x2gb sticks in the latter two slots?)

Thanks very much!
Ash

BryGuy888

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
You shouldn't have any issues. To be honest though, depending on the speeds of your older memory you may just want to set it aside. When I upgraded from 2x2GB sticks on my system to 2x4GB I noticed a large difference and it was amazing, so I grabbed 2 more 4GB sticks and popped them in. My PC has never really used more than 4-5GB of memory at a time. It's somewhat an overkill. Sometimes mixing memory may cause blue screens and junk like that due to a variety of different specifications.

G

it looks like the same ram except larger
now:
CML4GX3M2A1600C9
ordering:
CML8GX3M2A1600C9

should be perfectly fine.

ash92x

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2012
Thanks for the fast replies!

Is there any particular way I should seat them in the memory slots? I remember when first installing my current ram i was told they should take up slots 1,3 for dual channel. How will it work having ram in all 4 slots?

Thanks again.

G

it prolly won't make a difference to just put the newer ram in the open slots. but i would first remove the existing ram (4Gb) and put the new ram (8Gb) in those slots (1,3) and test them by themselves first to make sure they are good. then replace the 4Gb in the now open slots (2,4).

ash92x

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2012

Thanks!

Is the best way to test them simply use the computer as normal for a few hours? (obviously checking that the comp has picked up the memory!)

Much appreciated!
Ash

G

a lot of folks like to use memtest or as you suggested use the rig for a few hours.

me, i am impatient; if it boots and i see the bios looks fine; its good unless it gets problems later.

ash92x

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2012
That's great, problem solved haha.The new RAM is due to arrive tomorrow.
If I have any problems i'll be sure to post them here!
Thank you!
Ash