Sign in with
Your question

Gaming: Which component(s) should I upgrade?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
August 20, 2011 12:29:21 AM

Hi.

I want to upgrade my PC so it's ready for demanding new/upcoming games like BF3, and I felt this was the right place to ask.

My current specs are:

Mobo: Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5
CPU: AMD Phenom II 4x 3.2 Ghz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 Gb 1600 Mhz
GPU: ASUS Geforce 295 GTX
HD: Seagate Momentus XT 7200 rpm
PSU: Corsair 750 W

I want to use high settings in the games I play.

I've been thinking about upgrading my CPU or GPU, as they probably are my weakest links. Is that true?
Could overclocking be a another possibility?
For CPU I have considered Phenom II 1100, and for GPU Gigabyte's 560 Ti SOC. But, what would make the biggest difference? I can only afford 1 of them.
If I shouldn't upgrade for one of the components mentioned above, then what should I do?

I have been searching all over the internet, and it's a jungle!

Any comments are welcome. Thank you for your time :-)

More about : gaming component upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
August 20, 2011 12:59:53 AM

Personally, I would start with the GPU. Grab yourself a 560 ti, and you will likely see quite an improvement.

Your 955BE is likely more than competent for the time being. You likely would not see much of a performance gain whilst gaming using the 1100T.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 20, 2011 11:59:47 AM

Neither is particularly likely to yield any increase in gaming performance.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4221/nvidias-gtx-550-ti-c...
I know it's review of the 550Ti but it includes numbers at 1920x1200 for both the GTX 560 Ti and GTX 295.

However if I was you, I'd change to the GTX 560 Ti just to get rid of the unnecessary extra heat, noise and power consumption of the GTX 295.

If you could afford a 6950 then you would give yourself the option to add a second in crossfire, and then you really would get lots of extra performance in gaming.
Related resources
August 20, 2011 1:55:00 PM

Silvune said:
Neither is particularly likely to yield any increase in gaming performance.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4221/nvidias-gtx-550-ti-c...
I know it's review of the 550Ti but it includes numbers at 1920x1200 for both the GTX 560 Ti and GTX 295.

However if I was you, I'd change to the GTX 560 Ti just to get rid of the unnecessary extra heat, noise and power consumption of the GTX 295.

If you could afford a 6950 then you would give yourself the option to add a second in crossfire, and then you really would get lots of extra performance in gaming.

Thanks for your response (both of you). Cool, so it's my GPU which is getting upgraded.
I didn't knew (until now) my Mobo wasn't supporting SLI. I considered getting another 560 Ti later on, but when I can't do that I rather go for 6950 and get the opportunity to Crossfire it later. I can see from tests 2x 6950 is pretty awesome :-) http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6950-crossfirex...

But, will 6950 be on the market for long? As I first got the money in about 3 months. Is it safe to buy now? And should I go for a particular model?

a b B Homebuilt system
August 20, 2011 3:54:58 PM

Well apparently the new 7000 series should be available in the retail market from the last month or so of this year, at least that is the buzz that I've heard, it probably isn't confirmed yet. It is also possible that the new 7000 series won't be widely available until next year.
However that means that there is approximately 4 months with 6950s still be widely available.
After the time that the 7000 series becomes available the price of 6000 series should drop, or others will be selling their 6000 series cards second hand. So I don't think you should be that worried about not being able to get a second 6950.

I'd just go for a card that has the largest/quiestest fan.
August 21, 2011 7:13:16 PM

Okay. Thank you, I'll go with 6950 and then dbl it up in a few months when I can afford it :-)
!