Sign in with
Your question
Solved

1.65v RAM on i7 2600k?

Last response: in Memory
August 20, 2012 5:32:39 PM

Hi,
I ordered the motherboard " GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 " on eBay, Along side with the G.Skill RiPJAWS 8GB DDR3 2133MHz RAMs "1.65v" Later on i noticed a topic saying that more than 1.5v RAM can kill the CPU? "i7 2600k"
And then i saw the motherboard limit which is also 1.5v . But i already purchased the G-Skill RiPJAWS. Is that true? Is there a risk by using those RAMs? And is there anything i can do? Maybe with the BIOS? I think i can make them 1.5v but that would take away it's speed, I would prefer to stay on 2133MHz.
I sent Gigabyte a message a week ago, they finally answered but it was pretty useless :
Spoiler
Dear XeloN Syda,

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. About the issue you mentioned, kindly note that our MB design follow JEDEC regulation therefore, make sure the modules you want to use follow the rules. Otherwise, if it is over spec (for example JEDEC regulated at 1.5V and if your memory is 1.65V, this is over spec), we cannot guarantee it to work. For memory support list, you can download from HERE.

And if the memory you want is not included in the memory support list, if possible, we recommend you choosing the modules with famous brand and test the modules with your system before you buy them to avoid H/W compatibility issue.

At last, if you still have any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Regards,
GIGABYTE

That was quite useless, no? :non:  I Also read a lot about CPU overkills from the voltage, I'm not worried about cooling the CPU and the PSU is 600W, All i'm worried about is for my i7 to die, or my Motherboard to downclock the rams to 1600mhz\1333mhz.
Even with all of my tech experience I'm dead-worried here that they wont work. :sweat: 

Thanks in advance.

More about : 65v ram 2600k

Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2012 6:09:41 PM

both sandy and ivy bridge cpu memory controllers are spec'd for 1.5 volts. running any ram more than 1.55 volts will void the warranty. neither a motherboard manufacturer nor intel would approve of running 1.65volt ram.

with that said, it can be done but if anything goes wrong and you need to provide the information about the volt of the ram; you will be paying for replacement parts yourself.
m
l
August 20, 2012 6:16:44 PM

Anonymous said:
both sandy and ivy bridge cpu memory controllers are spec'd for 1.5 volts. running any ram more than 1.55 volts will void the warranty. neither a motherboard manufacturer nor intel would approve of running 1.65volt ram.

with that said, it can be done but if anything goes wrong and you need to provide the information about the volt of the ram; you will be paying for replacement parts yourself.

Not worrying about warranty as i bought the items used "I'm not rich :c" but in excellent condition.
The only thing i care about is for the ram to be stable @ 2133MHz without anything dying, Anybody has that and confirms it works?
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2012 6:19:51 PM

since anything faster than 1600 ram only gives a performance increase in benchmarks, no difference in gaming or using other applications, i couldn't tell you at that speed because it would be "uncommon".

maybe someone will come along . . .
m
l
August 20, 2012 6:28:59 PM

Anonymous said:
since anything faster than 1600 ram only gives a performance increase in benchmarks, no difference in gaming or using other applications, i couldn't tell you at that speed because it would be "uncommon".

maybe someone will come along . . .

To be honest the 2133MHz part is out of jealousy, I Just want my PC to be better in all aspects from my cousins PC xD
So are you sure that making it 1600MHz wouldn't show ANY difference of 2133MHz? I pretty much do everything from gaming to making and rendering videos, to using photoshop .
m
l
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
August 20, 2012 6:39:30 PM

Sandy Bridge Memory Scaling: Choosing the Best DDR3

you'll see the synthetic benchmarks shows a difference but in real world applications the performance would not be as noticable from 1600 to 2133 compared to 1333 to 1600.
m
l
August 20, 2012 7:22:43 PM

Anonymous said:
Sandy Bridge Memory Scaling: Choosing the Best DDR3

you'll see the synthetic benchmarks shows a difference but in real world applications the performance would not be as noticable from 1600 to 2133 compared to 1333 to 1600.

Ok i'm convinced. I hope there really is no sign in gaming, it's the most important thing to me.
So i think the motherboard comes with new bios, Care to tell me how to downgrade as I've never done that? :pfff: 
And by making it 1.5v it will be set to 1600MHz or 1333?
Thanks for the help, You'll get the best answer after this one c:
m
l

Best solution

Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
August 21, 2012 1:43:40 AM

without having that board myself:

it would boot at "default settings" of 1333 @1.5 volts. you then go into the bios and raise the speed to 1600 without adjusting anything else.
August 21, 2012 9:16:33 AM

Best answer selected by iXeloN.
m
l
August 21, 2012 9:16:57 AM

Anonymous said:
without having that board myself:

it would boot at "default settings" of 1333 @1.5 volts. you then go into the bios and raise the speed to 1600 without adjusting anything else.

Very well, Thank you. :D 
m
l
!