I cannot find this answer anywhere!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddale01

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Hello!!!

I cannot find this answer anywhere.. I have an older workstation that my wife uses and its been working great with adobe photoshop cs3 but now I am going to cs6.. I am fine with the entire computer except the amount of ram in it.. It has just 2 2gb sticks.. The motherboard is an MSI 770-c45 am3 that has 4 dimm slots and supports up to 16gb.. My question is whether or not I can only put 4 4gb sticks in it, or can i just put 2 8gb in it??? Thanks TH Community!!!

iXeloN

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2012
Hello,
You can do both :
Let's say those are the dimm slots : || || "A1| A2| . B1| B2| "
You can place 4x4 GB in them , No problem || || "In all slots"
Or you can place 8x2 GB , Also no problem! Just make sure it works in dual channel mode. to do so you must place the 2 RAM chips like this A1 + B1 or A2 + B2 Get it?
[ I'll try again : {I} Is a used ram dimm , {|} is an empty ram dimm : I| I| or |I |I . I really hope you understand c: ]
But before you make a purchase make sure the RAM is DDR3. 1.5v and not above 1333MHz.

Am i that bad? ._.
So if i want to know the limit to a dimm slot , i devide the max ram to the number of dimms available? awesome.

eddale01

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Well that is what I was wondering, thank you so much, I will just either buy the 4 4gb ram.. or upgrade the mobo and cpu as well because I am wanting future proof!! 32gb :D thank you so much

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS