tombstone07

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Quite simply- if I replace the mobo- all other components can stay correct? I want to swap mobo so I can get a new one that supports crossfire and run dual cards.

As for the OS- its Windows 7 OEM- if windows does not line up "magically" I will need to contact microsoft right?

Thank you all,

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
If the motherboard is the same socket and supports the same CPU with the same RAM limits, then you can swap motherboards. I don't know about the Windows 7 OEM's EULA case though. You might be able to, but don't trust 30% certainty....

tombstone07

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Ok- that confirms my thought on the mobo- what of cleaning the processor? since I have to remove the cpu cooler- what measures should i take? should it be as simple as a "wipe down" of the chip? Also the cooler is heat pipe touch- should it be spotless as well or wiped down.

Thanks

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Yes, since you will still be using the same CPU and HSF, you want to remove all the thermal paste from both of them...that way when you reapply it you can ensure full contact between the two again.

All you really have to do is take a Q-tip with some acetone (nail polish remover, just make sure its pure acetone) then wipe it off with a coffee filter. There are other things you can use to remove the thermal paste, but I have used acetone and it works great for me.

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Clean the processor and Heatsink with alcohol(spotless).... then apply thermal Paste to the processor.... (DO NOT FORGET THIS)..

The mobo swap isn't going to go well... software wise... probably will require a reload of the Windows OS... even if it does"magically work" you will run into weird issues here and there... complete re-install is recommended and probably necessary.

BTW, microsoft isn't going to help you... they will tell you to re-install windows..