Your question

Two ethernet cards

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Ethernet Card
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
October 10, 2010 10:45:36 PM

Hello, like to know if you can run two eternet cards on one computer one acting as out to the net other acting as the incoming

More about : ethernet cards

October 11, 2010 12:13:45 AM

Technically, I suppose you could.

Using two network adapters, establish separate network connections to the same router. Each will have a different local IP address (e.g., 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101). Because of the way Windows works, you can only use *one* of those network connections for OUTBOUND Internet access anyway (specifically, the one w/ the higher priority under Network Connections). Let’s assume that’s the network connection w/ IP address 192.168.1.100. For any unsolicited INBOUND requests (file sharing, remote desktop, etc.), you could limit your port forwarding to the other network connection and its IP address, 192.168.1.101.

Now frankly, I don’t see much benefit here. I don’t even know for sure if this is what you’re after. There’s enough ambiguity in your question that it’s possible you have something completely different in mind. I just made a guess and provided one possibility. If I’m way off base, then try to describe what you want in more specific terms.

m
l
October 11, 2010 5:48:28 AM

You are on the right track. Know with a phone motem you can link them one in and other out with just a click of the mouse. If I'm understanding you I would need to lock the ip in the router to them.
m
l
Related resources
!