Sign in with
Your question

What card to get for older Mobo?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 17, 2011 1:41:13 PM

Hello,

Buddy has a 4CoreDual-VSTA (Asrock) mobo. (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?model=4coredual-v...)

We want to upgrade his GPU but I am afraid all the new cards state "PCI EXPRESS 16x) but his mobo states "1 x PCI Express Graphics slot (@ x4 mode)".

Should I be looking for older video cards or will 16x cards work? Or even be worth it?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

More about : card older mobo

a b U Graphics card
June 17, 2011 3:42:17 PM

All of the newer cards will work but they will run at 4X speed. so it will be slower but faster then nothing.
m
l
a c 180 U Graphics card
June 17, 2011 5:55:55 PM

Full specs, please, including the PSU make and model or amperage on the +12v line/s, it is possible the system is already well balanced and a graphics upgrade may just be a waste of money.
Some cards will be held back by the X4 link speed but by how much very much depends on the card.
Also be aware that PCI-E 2.1 cards may have problems with older motherboards, so check carefully before making a purchase.
m
l
June 27, 2011 1:08:12 PM

Thank you for the quick replies!

I ended up seeing compatability and had to convince my friend his old MOBO doesn't cut it anymore.

We started from scratch! Went with a Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3 and A Geforce GTX 460.
m
l
!