What card to get for older Mobo?

Hello,

Buddy has a 4CoreDual-VSTA (Asrock) mobo. (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?model=4coredual-vsta)

We want to upgrade his GPU but I am afraid all the new cards state "PCI EXPRESS 16x) but his mobo states "1 x PCI Express Graphics slot (@ x4 mode)".

Should I be looking for older video cards or will 16x cards work? Or even be worth it?

Thanks in advance,

Mike
3 answers Last reply
More about what card older mobo
  1. All of the newer cards will work but they will run at 4X speed. so it will be slower but faster then nothing.
  2. Full specs, please, including the PSU make and model or amperage on the +12v line/s, it is possible the system is already well balanced and a graphics upgrade may just be a waste of money.
    Some cards will be held back by the X4 link speed but by how much very much depends on the card.
    Also be aware that PCI-E 2.1 cards may have problems with older motherboards, so check carefully before making a purchase.
  3. Thank you for the quick replies!

I ended up seeing compatability and had to convince my friend his old MOBO doesn't cut it anymore.

We started from scratch! Went with a Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3 and A Geforce GTX 460.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards ASrock PCI Express Graphics